How We Can Help

If you have a concern of harassment, discrimination or sexual assault,
The Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management 

  • Handles all inquiries in strict confidence
  • Offers a respectful and safe environment for informal discussion or concerns
  • Provides advice and assistance, on informal resolution and the formal complaint mechanism

We can be flexible about where and when to meet to accommodate specific needs.

The Investigator

  • Investigates formal complaints related to human rights harassment and discrimination, personal and sexual harassment and sexual assault.

Who should you contact?
The Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management is generally the first contact, and will give you information about the Respectful Work and Learning Environment (RWLE) Policy, Sexual Assault Policy, and RWLE and Sexual Assault Procedures, along with options available to resolve your concern. The first meeting or contact will be used to gather information so you can make an informed decision as to what process you would like to choose to resolve the situation. Staff at the Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management will give you information for informal resolution processes and how to file a formal complaint.

If you choose the informal process, staff at the Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management will facilitate that process. This generally involves individual meetings with both the complainant and the respondent.  These sessions are guided by advisors who are experienced in getting parties talking and assisting them to reach resolution. 

The advantage of informal resolution is that it gets people talking in a confidential setting   It is often the most effective and fastest way to resolve a conflict, and often the people involved are better able to maintain some kind of relationship afterwards.  This may be important to people who will still need to work together or be in classrooms together,

The formal process involves meetings, written complaints, and allowing the respondent to see and respond to the complaint. There will be involvement of other University personnel, such as administrators, Union representatives and witnesses. There will be a record of the outcome, if there is found to be a breach of the Policy in the respondent's official personnel file.