Eligibility for Full-Time Staff Members:
- Full-time staff members appointed for one year or longer will participate in the full-time group insurance benefit program from date of appointment.
Eligibility for Part-time Staff Members:
A part-time staff member will participate on the first day of hire provided he/she is working in a position with a fixed minimum schedule of 50% of the full-time hours of work for the particular compensation group. The position must be expected to exist for one year or longer.
A part-time staff member will participate on July 1 following the beginning of the second fiscal year (April 1 to March 31) that he/she is employed by the University. He/She must have worked for a minimum of 48 weeks during which time he/she worked at least 50% of equivalent full-time hours. Eligibility is determined annually based on the work records for the previous fiscal year.
A part-time staff member will participate on September 1 following the beginning of the second year that he/she is employed by the University. He/She must have worked on a sessional/seasonal basis for a minimum of 50% time of equivalent full-time service worked during at least 8 continuous months in the immediately preceding fiscal year subject to annual separation of no more than 4 continuous months. Eligibility is determined annually based on the work records for the previous fiscal year.
Termination of Coverage:
Insurance terminates on the earlier of:
- termination of employment or
- the date the staff member ceases to be in an eligible employment classification, or
- Staff member's legal spouse, common-law spouse, or same-sex partner (common-law spouse or same-sex partner means the individual who has been residing with the staff member in a conjugal relationship for a period of not less than one year).
Any unmarried natural child, adopted child, or step-child of the staff member or the insured spouse and includes any child for whom the staff member or the insured spouse has been appointed legal guardian by a court of competent jurisdiction. Satisfactory proof of such guardianship must be provided to the insurer.
- from birth (from 15 days for Dependent Life) but under 21 years of age. A child under age 21 must not be working more than 30 hours a week,
- up to 25 years of age, if a full-time student at a school, college or university,
- 21 years of age or over who is incapacitated for a continuous period beginning before age 21, or while a full-time student and before age 25.
- A child of the insured spouse is not insurable unless he/she is also the employee's child or the spouse is living with the staff member and has custody of the child.
Questions on Group Insurance Benefits
please e-mail the Staff Benefits Generalists, or call:
Employee surnames beginning with:
A to L phone: 474-8085
M to Z phone: 474-9771