Revision Date: February 1984
Classification: Office Assistant 2
Unit: C.U.P.E. 1482
Hay Point Range: 127-152
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
This level of position provides office assistance through an acquired knowledge of routine procedures and/or skills. Incumbents are expected to perform basic secretarial/clerical/bookkeeping duties according to well established guidelines. Incumbents may require initial close supervision during their training period. Once trained they are expected to perform under general supervision only. The supervision of others is not a requirement, however, incumbents may be required to assist in the introductory training of new employees at the same or junior level.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Types correspondence, form letters, teaching, research and administrative forms or material, etc. from copy or dictating machine.
- May be trained in the use of the common functions of automated keyboard office equipment for information processing and retention.
- Acts as a receptionist and/or operator of a small switchboard for an area, receiving, screening and referring visitors and calls, taking messages and providing information (eg. packages, brochures, etc.).
- Operates duplicating equipment.
- Processes mail which can include: picking up, opening, date stamping, recording, sorting and distributing, etc.
- Provides routine clerical duties which can include: receiving forms, checking them for accuracy and completeness, matching, sorting, distributing forms and documents; posting data records, making simple computations; preparing basic summaries of information; handling, recording, ordering and/or maintaining goods, stock, supplies, etc.
- May allocate mail boxes to individuals and/or organizations.
- Performs duties related to the maintenance of files.
- Performs basic bookkeeping duties which could include: processing, checking and verifying/correcting and recording administrative forms (e.g. purchasing and payroll forms), reconciling statements, assessing fees, preparing financial accounts and bank deposits, controlling petty cash, booking rooms, distributing keys, etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education and Experience
- Completion of a High school or equivalent program of studies in directly related applied office skills plus 1 year of directly related experience.
- or -
- High school completion plus 1-2 years of directly related experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills & Abilities
- Some positions require keyboard skills with the ability to meet test standards in typing (minimum 50 wpm).
- Ability to work in harmony with others and provide assistance to staff, students and the public.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to handle a variety of basic clerical and/or bookkeeping duties.
- Ability to learn operation of automated keyboard office equipment as assigned.
- Appropriate communication skills, verbally and in writing.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.