Non-Canadian Post-Doctoral Fellows

Prospective Post-Doctoral Fellows liaise with a faculty supervisor and not through Human Resources at the University of Manitoba. The first step is to identify and communicate with faculty members who have aligned research interests and discuss the possibility of becoming a postdoc with their team. Foreign Post-Doctoral Fellows MUST hold a PhD (or be very close to obtaining it) when the appointment is being arranged (not all medical degrees are equivalent to PhD’s). The faculty supervisor/host will liaise with Rowena Krentz in the Vice-President Research and International Office where the Post-Doctoral hiring policy is managed. Faculty members and administrators at the University may follow the process set out here, which differ slightly depending on whether the faculty supervisor/host is paying the postdoc or if the postdoc is funded by an external agency:


1. Post-Doctoral Fellows who have applied for or have a post-graduate work permit

Most non-Canadians who completed their doctoral studies in Canada are entitled to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). If their intention is to stay in Canada as a Post-Doctoral Fellow, immigration requirements are easy when the graduating student has already applied for their Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). Human Resources simply need to see confirmation that the doctoral studies have been completed, that an application for a PGWP has been made online to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), and that the application was made before their current Study Permit expired. If these three conditions apply, they can work immediately under Implied Status. Implied status is when the government allows the person to work while their application is in process. Proof that the doctoral student applied for a PGWP can be provided by a confirmation letter that IRCC issues electronically to them when they have applied. This should be attached to appointment papers.

2. Non-Canadian Post-Doctoral Fellows with no current immigration status in Canada

There is a set process for hiring Post-Doctoral Fellows in Canada. This starts with the faculty supervisor/host completing a Foreign Visitor Category Assessment (previously known locally as a ‘CIC Form’) and sending it to Rowena Krentz in the VPRI office, agreeing to pay $230 for an Employer Compliance Fee for a LMIA exemption. Rowena Krentz then generates an ‘Offer of Employment’ number through the Employer Portal and sends it to the faculty supervisor/host who will forward it on to the postdoc. This number is required for the postdoc to obtain their work permit via a MyCIC account:

The postdoc also needs a copy of the Employer Compliance Fee receipt with their ‘Offer of Employment’ number written on it to upload to their work permit application so that government officers can see that the University of Manitoba has followed the correct process. Processing times vary for work permits, depending on the visa office responsible for the case. The postdoc will be instructed where to supply biometrics (digital fingerprints and photographs) via an email in their MyCIC account and must do this before the correct travel documents (visa or electronic Travel Authorization (eTA’s) and work permit ‘pre authorization’ letters issued. Postdocs should carry all their documents in the hand luggage to present to immigration control upon arrival in Canada. They will then be directed to secondary processing, where the work permit is fixed to the passport. The postdoc should check the work permit before leaving the officer, especially for duration, as work permits valid for less than one year will result in the postdoc being ineligible for Manitoba Health and supplementary benefits in Canada.