Permanent Residence In Canada

The University of Manitoba hosts thousands of temporary foreign workers and non-Canadian international students at any one time. Many people will decide that they want to stay in Canada and gain Permanent Residency (PR) after their current period of work or study. This is a time consuming and complex process. The University of Manitoba cannot assist temporary foreign workers or students with PR applications. Our HR Compensation Assistant can provide Employment Verification Letters upon request. These website pages are provided to give general information about PR in Canada.


The Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP)  provide several options to become a Permanent Resident of Canada.  The program is managed in Winnipeg city centre and people can make an appointment to attend an information session and receive support from officers locally when they have an application in progress. Applying for PR through MPNP is a two-step process. The first step is to apply and then obtain a ‘Nomination’ and the second step is to submit a full PR application to the federal government via Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).


Express Entry is a points-based system managed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), commencing with the submission of an online profile: IRCC. Profiles are ranked using something called the Comprehensive Ranking System

Non-Canadians can find out if they are eligible for a PR and a reference number is created (and can be used during a future application) when they answer a few questions on the Come to Canada tool.

Under this federal program, a lot of documents will be required within 90 days of receiving an Invitation to Apply as applicants need to prove that anything that they claimed points for is true. It is best to collect some of these documents before submitting your eligibility profile under Express Entry. These documents may include:

•    Evidence of passing a language test by IELTS or CELPIP
•    Obtaining an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) if that qualification was not
     obtained in Canada
•    Police clearances for every country that applicants have lived in for longer than six months
      from the age of 18
•    If points are claimed for the skills of a spouse, evidence will be required

Once applicants have submitted your eligibility profile, they will have a good idea about how many ‘points’ they have scored out of 1200. The top-ranked scores are selected each time and you may then receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA). ITA’s are issued after one of the frequent draws that IRCC make in the pool of applicants who have applied for Express Entry. Once an applicant receives an ITA, they only have 90 days to apply for permanent residence. If the documents are not submitted within this deadline, applicants will need to start all over again and submit a new profile.

When you receive an ITA, a personal document checklist will be provided. You must provide all the required supporting documents requested, and these can include:

•    Medical exam by a panel physician
•    Employment history and Reference Letters from current and previous employer
•    Travel history over the last ten years
•    Personal history over the last ten years
•    Birth certificate(s)
•    Marriage certificate(s), if applicable
•    Any other document that are asked for on the checklist


When a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada is married to or living in a common-law relationship* with a non-Canadian, and wants to reunite their family permanently in Canada, there are two routes to permanent residency (PR). The first option is for the spouse or common-law partner to obtain PR in their own right through the Federal Express Entry program, assuming that they meet the minimum requirements. The other option is for the Canadian citizen or permanent resident to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner to become a permanent resident of Canada. Spouses can be sponsored via the Spouse or Common-law Partner Outside Canada or via the in Canada Class if they are already living here as a temporary resident. Fees are charges at various stages in the process.

Spousal Sponsorship is a program managed federally by the Government of Canada. The program is a two-step process. First, the Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident must get approval to be a sponsor, a legal undertaking to take financial responsibility for their spouse or common law partner and any dependent children for a fixed period of time. Once the sponsor is approved, the second stage is for the spouse or common-law partner (then known as the applicant) to apply for permanent residency in Canada. Details about family sponsorship with a helpful instruction guide can be found here 

*To meet the definition of a common-law partner in immigration law in Canada, couples must prove that they are in a genuine relationship and have lived together in the same household continuously for at least one year before they can apply. Evidence of this can include driving licences, bank statement, lease agreements or mortgages, life insurance policies or tax returns at the same address for the year prior to the application being made. Officers may ask for additional proof at their discretion.