a) establish Panels to hear appeals as set out in the related Procedures;
b) determine a Chair for each Panel of the Senate Committee on Admission Appeals;
c) review this Policy and related Procedures periodically and, if necessary, recommend changes.
2. A Panel of the Committee shall hear an appeal by an Appellant against:
a) decisions of Faculty/School/College admission selection committees, and these only when the Appellant has sought reconsideration by the admission selection committee as set out in the Procedures,
b) administrative decisions which affect the admission process;
c) decisions of Faculties/Schools/Colleges or Admissions Office personnel regarding eligibility requirements;
d) decisions of Faculties/Colleges/Schools regarding granting of transfer of credit at the point of admission and the possible granting of advance standing.
3. In a dispute over the appropriate avenue of appeal at either the Faculty/School/College or University level, the President shall decide where jurisdiction lies.
4. To ensure that admission decisions are made by those within the University who have the academic or professional expertise in the discipline concerned, the Panel should be careful not to substitute its own academic judgment or standards for those in the discipline concerned.
5. The Committee shall form a Panel to hear an appeal from the same Appellant against the same decision only once.
6. The decision of a Panel is final and binding, without further right of appeal.
1. The composition of the Committee shall be:
a) one member holding academic appointment in the University appointed as Chair of the Committee for a three year term by the Senate Executive Committee;
b) one member holding academic appointment in the University appointed as Vice-Chair of the Committee for a three year term by the Senate Executive Committee. The Vice-Chair shall not be from the same Faculty/School/College as the Chair. The Chair and Vice-Chair shall not be members of a Faculty/School/College admission selection committee;
c) eight members with broad representation across Faculties/Schools/Colleges holding academic appointments in the University, nominated by the Senate Committee on Nominations and appointed by Senate;
d) the President of UMSU (or designate);
e) two Students nominated by the Senate Committee on Nominations and appointed by Senate;
f) the Deputy Registrar and Director of Admissions (ex-officio) (non-voting).
2. Committee members will not be on a Panel that is hearing an appeal from their own Faculty/School/College, with the understanding that a member of a professional college in the Faculty of Health Sciences may hear an appeal from one of the other professional colleges.
Amended by Senate May 20, 1987
Revised July 1, 2015
David Mandzuk, Chair
Brenda Hann, Vice-Chair