Payroll Services

Payroll Services aims to deliver quality administrative payroll services to the University of Manitoba community, as well as a broad range of external agencies, in a timely and efficient manner while adhering to internal policies, union contracts and government regulations.

Access the following for your Payroll needs:

Pay Info for Employees
Resources for Processing Payroll
TD1 and Government Forms
Record of Employment (ROE)
Pay Info for Students
Payroll Forms







Payroll rate change in 2021

Canada Pension Plan contribution rates will be increased to 5.45% in 2021 from 5.25% in 2020. Maximum contribution is $3,166.45.

Employee Employment Insurance contribution rates will be remain at 1.58 % in 2021. Maximum contribution is $889.54.

Anyone maxed CPP/EI contribution last year will notice deductions restarting again and net amount will be lower.

As of 2019, the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is being gradually enhanced, please visit CRA link for more information.


2020 T4 Slips Communication

University of Manitoba will continue to provide T4 slips to all our active employees through electronic access to Employee Self Service (ESS) portal. You will be able to view/print your T4 slips in a convenient manner similar to the way you currently access your pay statements through secure log-in to ESS, which has been operational for several years.

Click HERE for the official communication and detail information.

Click HERE for the instructions on how to obtain T-slips on ESS and the Request Form for Paper T4 Slip

*Update* Rush Cheque Requisition process

Due to the current situation and to limit the number of staff permissible in our office. Printed cheques are not currently being offered for the rush cheque requisition process.

As a substitute solution during these unprecedented times, all rush requests will be processed via direct deposit. Rush run will be processed every Friday and payment will be deposited two (2) business days after.  

All completed requisition form (with authorized signature and an active non-grant FOP to allocate rush fee if applicable), accompanied by the C&A or pay revision, must be emailed to by Friday 11:00am in order to be included in the run.

Thank you for your co-operation and understanding. We care about everyone’s safety and believe this reduction of potential exposure option will be beneficial to all parties involved.

**Change in Direct Deposit Administration procedures**

Effective December 1, 2019, the existing Direct Deposit Authorization Form on HR website will be removed and the new Direct Deposit Authorization Form will be available on Employee Self Service (ESS) portal only.

It is located in “Useful links” panel under “My Pay” tab, please refer to the new form for instructions.

Highlight of the changes:

  • Additional supporting information and document(s) will be required for any requests to change existing Direct Deposit setup.
  • When providing Direct Deposit Letter which is printed from the Secure online Bank portal, URL should be included on the printout.

Existing Direct Deposit Authorization Form will be accepted until December 20th, 2019.

Payroll Deadlines are as follows:

Direct hour batches and correction and addition forms must be submitted by 4:00 p.m. every Friday with the exception of Good Friday and floating holidays such as July 1st, November 11th and Christmas closure. For Good Friday and where floating holidays fall on the Friday, the deadline is the Thursday prior to the holiday by 4:00 p.m. The Christmas closure deadline will be provided in an email in mid to late November and will indicate revised deadline for both HR and Payroll. Directions and calendars are provided for your ease.

Corrections and Additions forms received after cut off run the risk of been carried forward to the next pay period. Rush cheques might be required and at your cost. 


The following information is now available on the CRA website

Need a proof of income statement for your student loan? Get it online

When applying for a student loan, grant or subsidy, you may be asked to provide a proof of income statement (option ‘C’ print) to your financial institution or to a municipal, provincial, territorial or federal government department.



The Canadian Payroll Association has recently released the new research report for their "Canadians living pay cheque to pay cheque" research survey:

National Payroll Week "Canadians Living Pay Cheque to Pay Cheque" media deck

National Payroll Week Survey Infographic

National Payroll Week Survey News Release

Manitoba National Payroll Week Survey Infographic

Manitoba National Payroll Week Survey News Release