How to Repeat a Course
In order to repeat a course, U1 students must receive permission from a University 1 Academic Advisor first. This can be done in person by meeting with an Advisor at the U1 First Year Centre in 205 Tier Building, or via email by submitting the online form available from the link below.
Both the in-person and email method of requesting a repeated course allows students and Advisors a chance to work together to develop a plan for success in the second attempt.
Make sure you understand how a repeated course may or may not affect your GPA, faculty application, and Fall/Winter plans.
You may repeat a course you have previously taken, but you are not necessarily required to because of a low grade or Voluntary Withdrawal, unless it is needed for your target faculty's admission or program requirements. U1 Academic Advisors can help you determine the best plan for your personal situation.
A request for a 3rd repeat will require consideration by the Director of University 1. You are still required to discuss your request with a U1 Academic Advisor. Please be advised this request will take longer to be reviewed.
- When a course is repeated, only the last grade achieved (the 2nd attempt) will be counted toward your Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA); your official transcript, however, will display the grades of all courses attempted.
- Some faculties use an Adjusted GPA (AGPA) to determine faculty admission where each attempt at a course is included in your GPA calculation.
- In most cases you will only be given 1 opportunity to repeat a course; this includes taking a course considered to be equivalent to the course originally attempted.
- To determine how repeating a course may affect admission to different faculties, refer to your target faculty/school's Applicant Information Bulletin;
- When repeating a course with a lab component, you may be eligible for a lab exemption and can inquire about this when meeting with a University 1 Academic Advisor.
Email Repeat Request
To submit your repeat request via email:
- Complete the PDF form listed below.
- When finished you responses, click the (blue) SUBMIT button.
- A notification about sending a data file may appear, click close.
- Select the email application you wish to use to send in this form:
- If you choose Desktop Email Application the form will be automatically attached to your email
- If you choose Internet Email, you will need to save the form (FDF file) on your desktop and manually attach it to your email
- Send your email to the U1 email account at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allow 1 full business day for your request to be reviewed and loaded onto Aurora;
- Requests received after 2 pm will not be reviewed or approved until the next business day;
- Complete all sections of the form and use the links provided to answer all of the questions;
- A U1 Advisor may contact you before approving your request if you have not compiled the entire form or if your academic plan poses a risk for success in the repeated course.
University 1 Request To Repeat a Course (PDF) * Note: Once you have filled out the form, please click the SUBMIT button on the top right hand side, before you email to our office.
If you need a newer version of Adobe Reader, click here to download the lastest free version.