Make a Report
Get Support Give Support Report Sexual Assault Understanding Consent Give Support

The University of Manitoba recognizes individuals have the right to make choices for themselves and have those choices respected.

If you choose to report, you have several options. You can choose to report to the police, the University, or both.

If you choose not to report, you will still be supported and connected with resources. The University of Manitoba wants to be a safe and supportive place for people to disclose sexual violence and receive the best care and referral possible.

What is the difference between a disclosure and a report?

A disclosure is different than a report. A disclosure is when you share your story with anyone that you feel comfortable with. This can include, for example: friends, family, co-workers, a trusted instructor, counsellor, chaplain, doctor, and many others.

A report refers to an official incident report and more formal process, made to law enforcement, or to select University offices, including the Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management and Security Services.

Making a report to the Police


People usually report to the police to pursue criminal charges under the Criminal Code of Canada, or to obtain a protection order.


You can contact the police (WPS or RCMP) directly, or access the Winnipeg Police Service through the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner program within the City of Winnipeg.

What Happens?

The police will take your statement and investigate to determine if there is enough evidence to lay charges.


If the assault has recently occurred, it is helpful to attempt to preserve evidence if you wish to have a forensic exam (e.g., refrain from changing your clothes, showering, eating or brushing your teeth).

At any point in the process you can stop if you do not wish to go further. Just because you started an investigation does not mean you have to continue with it.

You do not have to have a forensic exam to make a report to the police.

It is never too late to make a report to the police.

Making a report to the University

Making a report to the University is different than making a report to the police. The University does not do criminal investigations or lay criminal charges.


People often choose to report to the University to ensure that the University is aware of the allegations and can undertake an investigation. An investigation will be done in accordance with the RWLE and Sexual Assault procedure to determine if there has been a breach of policy.

To make a report to the University it is best to connect with the following offices:

  • The Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management
  • Security Services

Making a report to the Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management [OHRCM]

You can contact The Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management:

When making a report to the OHRCM, you can choose to address your concerns informally or make a formal complaint.

  • Informal Resolution is an option available to individuals who do not wish to pursue a formal complaint and would like to resolve their concerns informally. Please contact the OHRCM directly to discuss options that are available to resolve concerns.
  • Formal Complaint is a complaint that is submitted in writing to the Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management. The Formal Complaint Guidelines are available on OHRCM website or for pick up at 201 Allen Building.

If you are a student, Student Advocacy can assist you in writing the complaint; if you are a member of a union, your union representative can assist you. All students, staff and faculty can contact OHRCM directly.

Making a report to University of Manitoba Security Services

When Security Services receives a report of sexual assault, they will create a security report and refer the matter to the Human Rights and Conflict Management Office and STATIS to ensure coordinated support is provided to you. They can also help you with an immediate safety plan.

Anonymous Reporting

If you know someone who has been sexually assaulted, or have been sexually assaulted yourself, the University has an anonymous online reporting system called "Silent Observer." It allows anyone to anonymously notify security services of an incident.

Confidentiality and Reporting

Confidentiality is very important to those who have come forward and disclosed or reported a sexual assault to feel safe and respected.

While the University makes every effort to ensure your confidentiality when reporting, there are some rare instances where the University may be required to take action without your consent, which can include contacting the police or initiating a University Instituted Investigation.

This would occur in the following situations:

  • If there is reason to believe the safety of the University Community is at risk
  • If the individual reporting is a minor (under 18 years old)
  • If there is an immediate threat of serious physical harm to yourself or another person

If this happens, you will be notified of the actions of the University and be supported throughout the process, including safety planning. Reasonable efforts will always be taken to preserve your anonymity wherever possible.

Not Sure?

If you are not sure if you want to make a report to police or the University, it is always a good idea to write down as much detail about the incident, as soon as you can. This can be helpful if you decide to report later on.

If you are not sure if you want to make a police report, you can have evidence collected and it can be stored indefinitely until you decide.

You can always speak with the Office of Human Rights and Conflict Management or Student Advocacy about the process of reporting and the application of University Policies without having to file a formal report.