Your input is needed

What should the UM Sexual Violence and Respectful Work and Learning Environment Policies Include? Share your voice at policy consultation sessions November 6 & 7, 2018

The University will be reviewing its 2016 Respectful Workplace and Learning Environment Policy and its Sexual Assault Policy in the coming year. The U of M has mandated the review of these policies every three years. This review process is compliant with new legislation from the Government of Manitoba.

To begin this process, all members of the University community, including current and graduating students, staff and faculty, are encouraged to share their ideas and input through the confidential feedback mechanism below. While this first round of input is being gathered online, further consultation will be conducted with a wide range of stakeholder groups across campus throughout the 2018-19 academic year. Please provide us with information about any student groups you think we should meet with.

All questions will be answered in a timely way and will be translated into Frequently Asked Questions, answered below.

All submissions are anonymous and confidential. However, if you would like us to reply to your feedback, please include your email address.



Frequently Asked Questions:

How can I access the University of Manitoba's current policies?

Both of these policies, as well as the Respectful Work and Learning Environment and Sexual Assault Procedure, are available online on our governing documents page.

What is the new legislation passed by the provincial government (Bill 15) and where can I find it online?

The full, formal title of this act, which is often referred to as Bill 15 is: The Sexual Violence Awareness And Prevention Act (Advanced Education Administration Act And Private Vocational Institutions Act Amended)

Why do our policies have confidentiality provisions?

The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and regulations passed pursuant to the Workplace Safety and Health Act restrict the University’s ability to share personal information it has collected about faculty, staff or students or decisions it has made about how to handle complaints. These laws are intended to protect the integrity of the investigation, and to encourage complainants and witnesses to come forward, and respondents to cooperate with the investigation process.

Why can't investigators’ reports or administrators’ decisions about remedial action or sanctions be released publicly by the university?

These reports contain vast amounts of very personal and sensitive personal information. Personal information is protected under FIPPA and is defined as: recorded information about an identifiable individual and includes information about a person's employment and work history, a person's opinions, educational information, etc. Public institutions, including universities, are obligated to protect personal information.
Although the University does not publicly disclose the findings of an investigation, it is important to note that both complainants and respondents receive copies of investigation reports. 
Where there is more than one complainant, each complainant will only receive those parts of the report that touch on the information they provided. Provincial legislation prohibits the release of information concerning the remedial measures or sanctions imposed on a respondent to a complainant unless a person needs to have the information as would be the case, for example, if the respondent is ordered to avoid contact with the complainant.

Why is there a one-year deadline on complaints at the University?

Filing deadlines are imposed on most complaint-based processes in order to ensure that information about an incident is collected while memories are fresh. One-year deadlines are quite common in complaint based processes. For example, complaints under The Manitoba Human Rights Code must be filed within a year. The University’s current policy provides that individuals can still file a formal complaint even if it is past the one-year timeline, at which point it is up to the assessor of the formal complaint to determine if an extension would be fair. An appeal is available should they disagree with the assessor's decision. Additionally, informal options available under the procedure have no timeline.

One can also access external processes such as reporting to the police, filing a civil claim or making a complaint to the Manitoba Human Rights Commission.