Final Grade Appeal

Before you decide…

FIRST: Speak informally with your instructor

Discuss your concerns with your instructor during his/her office hours or at another agreed upon time. He/she may provide you with valuable feedback on why you received the grade that you did, or may be willing to review your paper or exam again.

NEXT: If you are not satisfied with this information and have valid grounds, you can file a formal final grade appeal

Final Grade Appeal pamphlets are available at the Student Advocacy office, 519 University Centre or as a .pdf file.

OR AT ANY TIME: If you are undecided about filing an appeal or have any questions, you can make an appointment to speak with a Student Advocate.


Filing a Final Grade Appeal…

Step 1:
Complete a Final Grade Appeal form (available at the Registrar's Office, 400 University Centre or online). Indicate the grounds for your appeal. If you require more space, you can attach a separate letter to the form. A letter template is available from the Student Advocacy Office, or for download as a .pdf.

Step 2:
If applicable, attach to be reviewed a copy of the exam, course outline, or any other documents relevant to your appeal

Step 3:
Pay the $35.00 fee using the following options:

  • Debit or Credit Card payments can be done at the Registrar’s Office.
  • Cash payments must be done at the Cashier’s office at 138 University Center.  

Submit the form, letter, and any other documents to the Registrar’s Office, 400 University Centre. The fee is refunded for a grade that is raised as a result of appeal. Be sure to keep your receipt.

After your appeal is submitted…

Your appeal package will be forwarded to the department offering the course. Generally, there will be a second review of your final exam by the professor and a third party (either another professor or an appeal committee). You will receive a letter in the mail from the Registrar's Office with the decision of your appeal, within 30 days of the grade appeal deadline. A final grade cannot be lowered as a result of an appeal.

If you have further questions or require assistance, please make an appointment with a Student Advocate.