The Rhodes Scholarship is a postgraduate award supporting exceptional students from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. The program was initiated in 1903 and first awarded in Canada in 1904. To date, the University of Manitoba has had the privilege of cultivating 98 Rhodes Scholars.
Up to 11 Rhodes Scholarships are awarded annually in Canada, including three in the Prairie Region of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The Scholarship is tenable for studies at the University of Oxford in England for two or three years, beginning each year in October. Selection is made by committee after personal interviews and on the basis of the candidate’s record.
For the 2019 Scholarship, all candidates must:
The Rhodes Trust focuses on four criteria which are used in the selection of Scholars:
In short, Rhodes Scholarship selection committees seek young leaders of outstanding intellect and character who are motivated to engage with global challenges, committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming value-driven, principled leaders for the world’s future.
Rhodes Scholarship guidelines: rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/media/42340/canadainformationforcandidates.pdf
University of Manitoba – Internal Rhodes Application Process
Our institution has implemented an internal selection process to select up to 6 applicants that will be officially endorsed by the University of Manitoba for consideration of a Rhodes Scholarship.
To be eligible for one of these 6 spots that our institution will officially endorse for consideration of a Rhodes Scholarship, please submit a complete copy of the following Rhodes application materials via email (in .pdf format) to Mr. Brent Deere, Research Awards Administrator (email@example.com) by 4:30pm (CST) on Monday, August 27, 2018:
Please ensure that your personal statement:
- Addresses your general interests and activities. What inspires you? What are your passions?
- Discusses your aims and priorities and the contribution you have made and hope to make to the world and/or your local community;
- Tells us which course / courses you are most attracted to at the University of Oxford and why. It is important that you have a firm idea of which course / courses are viable for you to study at the University of Oxford - not all University of Oxford courses are covered by the Rhodes Scholarship, you should refer to the Conditions of Tenure for further information. It is a good idea to discuss your proposed course of study with your current professors or lecturers in that field, and, if possible, with someone who has knowledge of United Kingdom universities. Additional sources of information are available online at ox.ac.uk/admissions, as well as on individual faculty/departmental websites. If you are selected for the Scholarship you will have the opportunity to revisit your course choice;
- Demonstrates that you are able to meet the entry and application requirements of the specific course you have chosen. Please read the Oxford graduate studies course pages carefully: ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate;
- If you wish to undertake a DPhil, you should provide a brief outline of your proposed research area, how it contributes to your future career plans and list one or more researchers with whom you would like to work in Oxford.
Your personal statement should be entirely your own work, with no assistance received. It must be clearly signed by you and must state under your signature that “This statement is my own work and that no external help was given in its creation or editing.”
Note: It is highly recommended to include copies of the actual letters of reference provided by these six referees. Referees should email their letters of reference directly to Mr. Brent Deere, Research Awards Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 4:30pm (CST) on Monday, August 27, 2018.
After August 27, 2018, our internal UM Rhodes Selection committee will review the application materials received and will meet to discuss and select up to 6 applicants to endorse on behalf of our institution.
Monday, September 17, 2018
All internal UM applicants will be notified at that time of the results, and the 6 selected UM applicants will have approximately 2 weeks to complete and submit their application packages to the Rhodes Prairie Office. Mr. Brent Deere will be available to work with these 6 short-listed applicants in preparation of the deadline, and will inform them of what they need to complete in order to secure the other required materials for their application (i.e. the written statement from the President endorsing the candidacy, the authorization code, etc.)
Friday, September 28, 2018 (23:59 PDT)
Official deadline for the 6 short-listed applicants to submit their application packages directly through the online portal to the Rhodes Foundation: rhodes.embark.com/apply/2019.
Please contact Mr. Brent Deere, Research Awards Administrator (email@example.com or 204-474-8697) if you have any questions throughout this process.
Revised July 31, 2018