Every year, the University of Manitoba offers a wide-range of bursaries to both new and continuing full time and part-time students who are enrolled in school from September to April who have a demonstrated financial need and a minimum academic standing. Bursaries (student funding that does not need to be repaid) range in amounts from $100 to $1,000 with over $3 million awards annually.
Bursary awards are primarily based upon financial need (as opposed to scholarships which are primarily based upon academics/marks). All bursary applications require students to complete a budget section. Please read carefully as the budget refers to a specific time period.
Please read below the eligibility requirements for the annual Fall/Winter University of Manitoba General Bursary application and the annual Spring/Summer University of Manitoba General Bursary application. Students can apply for the University of Manitoba General Bursary by applying online through their Aurora Student account. Paper applications of the University of Manitoba General Bursary application will not be accepted.
- Numerous University of Manitoba Senate Approved bursaries may require the submission of additional application material. These awards require that you have completed the University of Manitoba General Bursary application.
- Please go to the Awards requiring application link to view current bursaries and awards that are available for application.
2016-17 Fall/Winter University of Manitoba General Bursary
*Annual application and supporting documentation to be submitted to the Financial Aid & Awards Office by: October 1st. If this falls on a weekend, the deadline will be the following Monday.
- Available in early-to-mid August through the Aurora Student portal.
- All undergraduate students must register and complete at least 60% of a full course load per term (i.e. a minimum of 9 credit hours per term) over the regular academic fall/winter year. There are a few bursaries offered for part-time students registered in both fall/winter terms.
- Graduate students do not have to adhere to credit hour minimums provided they are registered as full-time students over the fall and winter terms with the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
- Continuing University of Manitoba students must meet a G.P.A. requirement of a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0. New students (from high school) must have a grade 12 average of 70% or higher.
- International students in their 1st year of post-secondary study in Canada are not eligible to apply to the General Bursary program.
- Financial need must be clearly documented on the application. Students who have applied for government student aid/loans from other provinces must provide a copy of a current "official" government loan assessment to support their declaration of financial need. Please note Manitoba Student Aid recipients do not need to submit a copy of their Notice of Assessment.
Available in early-to-mid August through the Aurora Student portal.
Selections for the bursaries will go out in early December of each year.
Bursary funds will be applied to winter term fees. If fall and winter term fees are paid in full, you may request a refund by contacting Financial Aid & Awards following the winter term course revision deadline.
Searchable Awards Database
BRAND NEW! Check out the recently launched University of Manitoba searchable Awards database.