Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the fees for Part Time courses?
Fees for UofM students, ICM students, Visiting Scholars,  Postdoctoral fellows, and staff are $30.00. Fees for non UofM students are $150.00

2. Do Visiting Scholars and UofM staff also pay $30 instead of $150?
Yes, Visiting Scholars and UofM staff qualify for the subsidy and are eligible for the student rate.

3. When do we receive information about the location of the classes, instructors, etc.?
2-5 days before the start of class students will receive an email.

4. Can I use these courses to apply for a student Visa?
No, Part Time Courses are not considered a full-time program.

5. How I can register for Part Time Courses?
Complete the fillable PTC EAP Registration form.Sign the form (by hand, not electronically) and return the form to the ELC office by e-mail, fax or in person.

6. What should I do if the class is full?
Our office will put you on a waiting list in case any spaces become available.

7. Can I register for more than one course?
Yes, however, you will need to make sure the class times do not conflict.

8. In case of class cancellation, what I should do?
You will have two options:
    1- Transfer to another course within the same term.
    2- Request a full refund

9. Does the withdrawal fee of $10 apply to all situations for refunds? What if a student has to cancel because their student visa expires?
Yes, if a student requests a refund, a withdrawal fee of $10.00 will be applied regardless of the withdrawal reason.

10. Do I receive a certificate when I successfully complete the course
Students who attend 80% of the classes will receive a Completion Letter. Completion Letters are given out on the last day of the course. Students who were absent on the last day may pick up their letter from the ELC front office, located in 520 University Centre.

11. What is average number of students per class?
Class sizes average between12-15. However, Research Writing For Graduate Students, Oral English for Graduate Students, Pronunciation, and Oral Presentations courses are limited to a maximum of 10 students.

12. Are courses suitable for students who want to improve their English for non-academic purposes?
No, the primary focus of our courses is improving English for Academic Purposes.

13. Can undergraduate students take Research Writing for Graduate Students (RWGS) or Oral English for Graduate Students (OEGS) ?
No, students must be enrolled in Graduate Studies at the UofM in order to register for RWGS or OEGS. If students are enrolled in Graduate Studies at another institution, the student must provide evidence of their current enrolment or evidence of a completed graduate degree.
14. Are these courses helpful to me if I want to prepare for a TOEFL or IELTS exam?
No, the primary focus is to polish students’ English so that they may succeed in their degree courses.

15. Are these courses appropriate for intermediate English speakers?
No, our courses are designed for students who have already met the language proficiency requirements for their degree program. We work to build on their current skills and polish their Academic English Skills

16. Will this course appear on my transcript?
No, Part Time Courses will not appear on University of Manitoba transcripts.