Homestay hosts will gain a rich and rewarding cross-cultural experience with their international student, and be part of a well-respected Homestay program in Winnipeg.
- Learn about a student’s culture
- Help students learn about Canada and Winnipeg
- Help students improve their oral English
- Build long term friendships and memories
- Receive support from full-time Homestay staff on campus and by emergency cellphone
- Receive a remuneration of $700 per month for each student
- Pick up the student at their arrival point (airport, bus terminal, or train) and arrange for transportation for their departure.
- Orient the student to Winnipeg, to their neighborhood, buses, and banks as well as to the University campus.
- Provide a clean, safe, comfortable home environment for students.
- Provide three healthy meals a day. Breakfast and lunch materials to be provided for student to make their own meal. Dinner prepared and cooked by a host member.
- Allow the student full use of the household including telephone, television, and living areas. This includes helping the student understand appropriate use and time of use.
- Provide an English speaking environment and encourage the student to speak English in the home.
- Respect the rights, privacy, and culture of the student including religious and political beliefs.
- Assist the student's adjustment to Canada and encourage the student to learn about Canadian culture, lifestyle, activities, and family life.
- Read and sign the Homestay agreement and Homestay pledge.
Homestay staff will do their best to match students and hosts appropriately, and to facilitate good relationships between them. The number of student placements per term will depend on the number of new students arriving. Hosts with available rooms at any given term may not be guaranteed a student.
In most cases students are placed in a homestay for a four-month term, with terms beginning in January, May and September. Occasionally students or researchers may apply midterm or for periods of time that do not correspond with the regular terms. Although students are expected to stay in Homestay host for the full term (4 months), some students may choose to leave early.