The Student Counselling Centre (SCC) places a very high value on facilitating and participating in training activities to contribute to the counselling professions. To support this value, the SCC hosts three unique counselling training programs:
The Advanced Practicum in Counselling at the SCC is an 8 month placement for up to two students, offering supervised experience in providing direct counselling service in multiple modalities, including individual and group therapy. Students will also actively participate in a practicum seminar, professional development, and staff consultation. Highlights of this placement include:
- Gaining skills and experience in conducting individual and group therapy
- Gaining skills and experience in conducting intake counselling sessions
- Receipt of weekly individual supervision on student's clinical work
- Diversity in clientele, as well as in the nature and intensity of presenting concerns
- Participation in biweekly professional development seminars, staff and consultation meetings, as well as a weekly practicum seminar focused on the development of skills and theory
For details regarding the opportunities and requirements of this placement please visit this page: umanitoba.ca/student/counselling/intern/master_llp.html
The pre-doctoral Internship in Professional Psychology at the SCC is accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association and provides experiences in conducting intake interviews, individual and group counselling, psychological assessment, career counselling, outreach programming, working with diverse clientele, consultation, crisis intervention and supervision. Opportunities for research involvement are also available. Highlights of this internship include:
- Innovative developmental training approach based on a concurrent experiences model that respects intern's unique experiences, interests and needs;
- Diversity of clientele with opportunity to work with individuals with a wide array of presenting difficulties including anxiety difficulties/disorders, depression, trauma, post-traumatic stress, eating disorders, thoughts disorders and developmental concerns;
- Provision of a minimum of 5 hours of weekly supervision throughout the internship;
- Exposure to a variety of intervention approaches such as CBT, ACT, ISTDP, EMDR, couple counselling using the Gottman approach, mindfulness, client-centered strategies and clinical hypnosis;
- Participation in a jurisprudence seminar and a diversity seminar series as well as biweekly professional development seminars and weekly staff consultation meetings;
- Supervision training and serving in the role of a primary supervisor to a student in the Advanced Practicum in counselling training program for a 4 to 6 month period.
- Opportunities to work with Indigenous students through a partnership with the Indigenous Student Centre.
For details regarding the opportunities and requirements for this internship program please visit this page: umanitoba.ca/student/counselling/intern
The Social Work Field Placement for students in Social Work education programs is an eight (8) month placement for up to two students, offering supervised experience in providing direct counselling services to University of Manitoba students. Opportunities also exist for participation in outreach activities and program development. Highlights of this field place include:
- Gaining skills and experience in conducting individual and group counselling;
- Receipt of weekly individual supervision on student's counselling and training experiences;
- Diversity in clientele, as well as in the nature and intensity of presenting concerns;
- A developmental approach to training that respects the skills and needs of the field placement student;
For more information on the Social Work Field Placement, please contact us at 204-474-8592.