If you are on campus and require assistance in dealing with critial incidents involving students on campus, please visit the Students in Crisis page.
There are many excellent books and websites that provide helpful information and strategies to assist you in managing your difficulties more effectively. The resources listed below are positively regarded within the professional community. Some students may prefer to access these resources prior to seeking professional help, whereas others may use these resources in conjunction with or while awaiting professional help. If you are in need of immediate assistance, please see the Crisis and Emergency Assistance page. Resources are listed for depression, anxiety, stress, self-esteem, anger, insomnia, and general mental health.
Depression Web Resources:
- Mood Disorders Association of Manitoba - http://www.depression.mb.ca/ - Provides support, information, and education to those experiencing depression. Lists facts, myths, disorders, services, groups and volunteers.
- Changeways Clinic – www.changeways.com/SelfCareManual.pdf -Provides an evidence-based self-care program for depression. Available in English, French, Punjabi, and Chinese (two versions) from Self Care Depression Program link.
- Mood GYM - Centre for Mental Health Research at the Australian National University – http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome -Provides a research-based, self-directed cognitive behavior therapy program for depression and improved coping. Participants must register with the site and agree to its terms to access the free program.
- Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy, by D. Burns
- The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing yourself from Chronic Unhappiness, by M. Williams, J. Teasdale, Z. Segal, and J. Kabat-Zinn.
Anxiety Web Resources:
- Anxiety Disorders Association of Manitoba (ADAM) – http://www.adam.mb.ca/ -Self-help, non-profit association offering cognitive behavioral groups, support groups, information and referrals, and education and public awareness.
- Anxiety B.C. Complete Self-Help Home Toolkit - www.anxietybc.com/resources/selfhelp_home_toolkit.php -Provides simple, step-by-step instructions on how to deal with specific issues related to anxiety - such as how to get a good night's sleep or dealing with uncertainty in your daily life. There are also tips and techniques to help you relax, plan for more healthy living, set goals and change your way of thinking about things.
- Anxiety Disorders Treatment Center of Chapel Hill and Durham - http://www.anxieties.com/ -A free self-help site for people suffering from an anxiety disorder, including panic attacks, phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- 10 Simple Solutions to Panic: How to Overcome Panic Attacks, Calm Physical Symptoms, and Reclaim your Life, by M. Anthony and R. McCabe
- 10 Simple Solutions to Worry, by K. Gyoerkoe and P. Wiegartz
- Mastery of Your Specific Phobia: Client Workbook (2nd ed.), by M. Antony, M. Craske, and D. Barlow
- Reclaiming your Life from a Traumatic Experience, by B. Rothbaum, E. Foa, and E. Hembree
- Stop Obsessing! How to Overcome your Obsessions and Compulsions (Rev. ed.), by E. Foa and R. Wilson
- Triumph Over Shyness: Conquering Shyness and Social Anxiety, by M. Stein and J. Walker
- 10 Simple Solutions to Stress, by C. Wheeler
- 10 Simple Solutions for Building Self-Esteem, by G. Schiraldi
- When Anger Hurts: Quieting the Storm Within, by M. McKay, J. McKay, and P. Rogers
- Insomnia Workbook, by C. Morin and S. Silberman
- No More Sleepless Nights Workbook, by P. Hauri and S. Linde
Mental Health Web Resources: