Travel Counsellor (6521)

University of Manitoba

The University of Manitoba does not offer specialized training leading specifically to a career as a Travel Counsellor.  The Faculty of Kinesiology & Recreation Management offers courses in leisure and tourism as part of the Bachelor of Recreation Management & Community Development program (see section 4.4) and minor in Recreation Studies.  U of M's Anthropology department and Human Geography program offer individual courses focused on travel and tourism.

     -Academic Calendar

     -Recreation Studies & Community Development department website, Faculty of Kinesiology & Recreation Management

Links to Sites

-National Occupational Classification

Canada's National Occupational Classification outlines the following employment requirements for Travel Counsellors:

  • Completion of secondary school is usually required,
  • A college diploma or vocational training in travel or tourism is usually required,
  • Certification with the Association of Canadian Travel Agencies (ACTA ) may be required.

-Working in Canada - Winnipeg

-Alberta Learning Information Service -OCCinfo

-Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for U.S.

-O*NET -detailed occupational information (U.S.)
-Interview: Travel Counsellor - from

-Association of Canadian Travel Agencies 
      - Certified Travel Counsellor (CTC) certification
      - Industry Directory

-Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council
      - Education & Training Information 
      - Career Profiles:
           -  Travel Counsellor
            - Travel Agency Manager
            - Other travel and tourism occupations

-Manitoba Tourism Education Council
     - Job Board 

-Travel Counsellor - from Canadian Career Consortium

-Choosing a Career As a Travel Counsellor

-World Tourism Organization

-The Princeton Review - A Day in the Life of a Travel Agent

-TravelMag - The Independent Spirit

Updated: December 4th, 2015