FAQ’s for New Students at Bannatyne Campus

Q: Where do I pay my tuition?

A: Web or Telephone Banking are the preferred methods of payment. Payments can be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from anywhere in the world. Sign up by contacting your financial institution and set up the University of Manitoba as a payee. You will be asked for an account number. This is your seven digit student identification number.

Don’t forget: depending on the financial institution, a payment in the afternoon may be considered a next day transaction and late fees will be assessed. Also, some online banking transactions take up to three business days to process, so to insure that your fees are paid on time, pay tuition early.

At the Bannatyne Campus, no fee payments can be made in person by cash or debit card (Interac). Fee payment by cheque, certified cheque, bank draft or money order can be deposited in the secure drop box located outside of Room P001 Pathology Building. Credit cards are not accepted as a method of payment.
To find the total amount of tuition owed, sign on to Aurora, click on Enrolment & Academic Records, click on Student Records, then click on View Account Summary by Term. Note: Your account number is your student number.

  • The Fall Term fee payment deadline is September 13, 2017.
  • The Winter Term fee payment deadline is January 9, 2018.

Cheques must:

  • have a current date (post-dated cheques will be assessed applicable late fees)
  • be payable to “University of Manitoba”
  • include your student number and phone number
  • be signed
  • have matching written and numerical amounts

For more information about fee payment, visit http://umanitoba.ca/admin/financial_services/revcap/payment.html

Q: I have questions about my student loans.

A: Stop by S211 Medical Services Building on a Wednesday to speak with a Financial Aid and Awards representative.
As of August 23, 2017, Financial Aid and Awards is at Bannatyne campus on Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. They will also be at Bannatyne every day for two weeks, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., from August 28 – Sept 8 2017. They meet students by appointment or drop-in. The Financial Aid and Awards Office can issue confirmation of enrollment forms for Student Loan purposes. Students can drop by the Bannatyne Campus Financial Aid and Awards Office (S211 Medical Services Building) or call the Bannatyne Office (204-272-3190).
If you need assistance on a day when Financial Aid and Awards will not be at Bannatyne, you can call or visit the Fort Garry Financial Aid and Awards Office (204-474-8197). That office is open 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday.

Q: Where do I get my ID card?

A: Students can go to the circulation desk at the Neil John McLean Health Sciences Library to get Student ID cards Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 5:45 p.m. The Student ID card is a multi-use card serving as your library card, gym membership and to be used in some printers and photocopiers on campus.

Q: Where do I go to opt out of the UMSU Health and Dental Plan?

A: Opting-out of the Health and Dental plan is done online with a form that must be filled out with proof of insurance coverage by an equivalent plan (such as a parent’s or spouse’s employee benefit plan). Before opting-out, consider whether it’s beneficial to be covered under UMSU’s and the equivalent plan to maximize coverage and eliminate out-of-pocket expenses. Links to the opt-out form can be found at studentcare.ca. Part-time graduate students and students taking a combination of distance education and on-campus courses may not have been assessed the Health & Dental fees and must opt-in/self-enroll.

Opt-ins, opt-outs and adding dependents must be completed during the Change-of-Coverage period, from August 24 – September 21, 2017 (in Fall) or December 20 – January 17, 2018 (for new students starting in Winter 2018).

If there are any other questions regarding the Health and Dental plan, students can visit studentcare.ca, call 204-474-6666, or visit the Health and Dental Plan Office at 110 University Center on the Fort Garry campus.

Q: How can I get proof that I am a current university student?

A: A Certificate of Enrolment form can be downloaded from the Registrar’s Office website http://umanitoba.ca/student/records/transcripts/proof_of_registration.html and faxed to the Registrar’s Office for verification. The fax number for the Registrar’s Office is 204-269-1065. A Certificate of Enrolment form will state whether you are a full-time or part-time student, which faculty you are in, and for which session this information is valid. A Certificate of Enrolment is generally used by banks to determine eligibility for student banking, to obtain an international driver’s license, to get a Canadian visa for a friend or relative to visit, or to obtain an American visa.
Students requiring a Confirmation of Enrollment for government student aid can obtain that confirmation from the Financial Aid & Awards Office in S211 Medical Services Building either on a Wednesday between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., or weekdays, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. between August 28 and September 8.

If you are an international student needing an official document from the University of Manitoba verifying your student status (enrolment verification/proof of registration) you can request an Enrolment Verification Letter from the Registrar’s Office: http://umanitoba.ca/student/records/forms.html#proof

Q: Where can I get access to computers/wireless internet/or a photocopier?

A: To use most of the computers on campus you must claim your UMnetID online at www.umanitoba.ca/claimid
Computers available for student use on the Bannatyne Campus are available in the Neil John McLean Health Sciences Library.
Wireless locations at Bannatyne Campus

Photocopying, scanning and printing is available at the Neil John McLean Health Sciences Library.

Q: Where can I get information about the student services available to me on the Bannatyne Campus?

A: Call 204-272-3190, visit the Student Services at Bannatyne Campus Office in S211 Medical Services Building or view our website umanitoba.ca/student/bannatyne

Student Guide