Transfer Student or Second Degree Student

Transfer Student

  • An external transfer student is one who has completed courses at another recognized post-secondary institution. External transfers can receive a maximum of two years (60 credit hours) of credit applied to a University of Manitoba degree, subject to Faculty regulations and requirements. Usually only work completed within the last ten years will be considered for transfer credit.
  • An internal transfer student is one who has completed courses in another faculty at the University of Manitoba. In most cases, there are no limits based on the date of original course completion or the amount of work that can be transferred internally from one degree to another, but the transfers are subject to Faculty regulations and requirements.

Transfer students who have completed more than 24 credit hours (four full courses) and have completed the necessary university prerequisites, may apply to any of our Advanced Entry programs.

Second Degree Student
A second degree candidate is one who has already been awarded a first degree by the University of Manitoba or another recognized institution. The rules regarding assessment of second degree students will vary between programs. A maximum of up to two years (60 credit hours) may be considered for transfer credit towards your second degree, subject to program applicability. Students seeking additional information on second degree options should consult the admissions office at (204) 474-8808. 

Specific admissions requirements will vary depending on program. Please see the application materials for your specific program of interest for further information.

Required Documents

  • Original or certified transcripts with course outline(s) are required from all previous universities/colleges. Transfer credit is assessed once all transcripts and course outlines are submitted. See our Transfer Credit Policies for more information.
  • Original or certified high school transcripts are required for high school graduates and students who have completed less than 24 credit hours at another post-secondary institution.
  • Original high school transcripts are recommended for students who have more than 24 credit hours and wish to enter programs with specific high school math, chemistry and physics prerequisites.

Note: Proof of citizenship or Permanent Residence status and demonstration of proficiency in the use of the English language may be required for applicant born outside of Canada.