Counsellor FAQ


Q:  If a student receives a “Conditional Offer of Admission” does that mean that they are officially admitted into their chosen program?

A:  No.  Conditional offers are a preliminary assessment of a student’s admission and scholarship eligibility, and are usually provided for applicants applying between December and March.  Once we receive the student’s interim grade 12 marks in the spring, following our March 1 application deadline, the student will receive a formal Admission Offer, which they must accept or decline (typically by June 1).

 Q:  If a student meets the minimum admission requirements for their chosen Direct Entry program, does that mean their admission to the program is guaranteed?

A:  Certain Direct Entry programs (e.g., Business, Engineering, Kinesiology & Recreation Management, etc.) admit only a certain amount of students each year.  In situations where admission is competitive, students may require higher averages than the minimum averages specified in our admission requirements to be admitted.

Q:  If a student applies for a Direct Entry program, but does not meet the qualifications for admission, do they need to re-apply for admission to a different program?

A:  Applicants who are not admitted to their chosen Direct Entry program will be automatically considered for admission to University 1.  The student does not need to re-apply for admission or pay an additional application fee.  Note that if a student is interested in applying for a different Direct Entry program other than University 1, they will need to submit a new application and pay a new application fee.

 Q:  If a student is interested in two separate Direct Entry programs, can they apply to both?

A:  Yes.  While students are welcome to apply to more than one Direct Entry program, we encourage students to explore our programs in advance of applying in order to make a more informed and committed decision.  Should students apply for more than one program, they will need to pay separate application fees for each program they apply to.

 Q:  Is it a student’s responsibility to submit their high school transcript to the Admissions Office?

A:  For Manitoba applicants, no – provided the student applies before March 1.  Manitoba high school students who apply to University 1 after the March 1 deadline are responsible for submitting their own high school transcripts to the Admissions Office.  Applicants from other Canadian provinces and the USA are also required to submit their transcripts to the Admissions Office.

 Q:  Is the admissions process different for high school students born outside of Canada?  (e.g., international students, recent immigrants, Permanent Residents studying at Canadian high schools, etc.)

A:  The admission requirements are the same, but students must demonstrate English language proficiency.  Students who have studied for at least three consecutive years (taking five courses in each of the three years) in a country where English is a primary language may be considered for an English language proficiency waiver (important note:  three consecutive years of high school transcripts and not just the senior year transcript must be provided to prove this).  Additionally, Manitoba high school graduates who have completed two 40S English courses (this can include two ELA courses or a combination of one EAL and ELA course) with an average grade of 75% or higher may also be considered for an English language proficiency waiver.  Permanent Residents and Canadian Citizens must also submit a scanned copy of their Permanent Resident or Citizenship card (or passport).

 Q:  Are all 40S Manitoba high school courses used to determine a student’s scholarship eligibility?

A:  No.  For a complete list of eligible 40S high school courses used in the Entrance Scholarship evaluation, click here.

Q:  If a student is taking Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses in addition to regular credit courses, will their AP or IB marks be reviewed for scholarship and admission offers?

A:  No extra weight is given to AP or IB credits over regular credits.  However, AP or IB credits may be used to determine entrance scholarship offers and admission offers by replacing the AP or IB course’s 40S/provincial equivalent.  This only occurs if the AP or IB mark is higher than its 40S/provincial equivalent.

Q:  Is it possible for a high school student to sit-in on a university class as part of a campus visit?

A:  No – mostly because the information given in the class would be completely out of context for the student visitor.  Students interested in visiting the U of M should instead register for a campus tour and advising session with Student Recruitment, or attend one of our annual recruitment events.  Our campus wide Open House is held annually in February and features many faculty-specific sessions and “mini-lectures” targeted towards high school age students.  For more information about on-campus events and tours, click here.

Back to Counsellor Homepage