Mohammad Jafari Jozani is currently an Associate Professor with the Department of Statistics at the University of Manitoba. His current research involves statistical learning problems with high dimensional aspects in Biostatistics, Engineering and Sustainable Energy; small area estimation as well as statistical inference with complex sampling designs using order statistics and rank information. The focal point of his research program is on developing new methodologies, models and computational tools to solve data driven problems in a variety of application domains. He has applied his research in areas such as breast cancer study, BMD analysis, age determination of fish spices, and recently in the calibration problems to design simulators for training purposes in order to make surgeries safer. In 2012, Mohammad was the recipient of the prestigious Rh award, for outstanding contributions to scholarship and research in the natural science category. The Rh award is awarded to scholars who show “exceptional innovation, leadership, and promise” early in their careers. He got merit awards for research in 2011 and 2014. Mohammad has collaborations with Manitoba Hydro, St. Boniface Hospital, Manitoba BMD program, NeuroArm, etc. and his research is supported by NSERC Discovery grant, NSERC Engage grant, Mitacs, CANSSI Kick start program, as well as a number of internal funds from the University of Manitoba.
statistical modeling and computation for complex data,
ranked set sampling,
- Amiri, S., Jafari Jozani, M. and Modarres, R.
Randomly Selected Order Statistics in Ranked Set Sampling: less expensive comparable alternative to simple random sampling.
Environmental and Ecological Statistics 25
- Jafari Jozani, M., Ayilara, O.F., Leslie, D.
Quantile Regression with Nominated Samples: An Application to a Bone Mineral Density Study.
Statistics in Medicine 37
- Azimaee, P., Jafari Jozani, M., Maddahi, Y., Zareinia, K. and Sutherland, G.R.
Nonparametric Bootstrap Technique for Calibrating Surgical SmartForceps: Theory and Application.
Expert Review of Medical Devices 14
- Azimaee, P., Jafari Jozani, M., Maddahi, Y., Zareinia, K. and Sutherland, G.R.
Calibration of an instrumented surgical forceps using bootstrap technique: A comparative study.
Canadian Medical and Biological Engineering Conference (CMBEC40)2017 ,
- E. Torkashvand, Jafari Jozani, M. and Torabi, M.
Clustering in Small Area Estimation with Area-Level Linear Mixed Models.
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A 180
→ See more publications
- Parisa Azimaee won award for Outstanding Research by a Graduate Student, 2017.
- Inesh Munaweera Won award for the Best Academic Performance by a Master's student, 2017.
- Olawale Ayilara won award for Outstanding Research by a Graduate Student, 2016.
- Shahab Shokrzadeh got a 2-year postdoctoral position from the York University.
- Elaheh Torkashvand got a 2-year postdoctoral postdoc position from the University of Waterloo.
- Elaheh Torkashvand won award for Outstanding Research by a Graduate Student, 2015.
- Elaheh Torkashvand won award for the Best Academic Performance by a PhD student, 2014.
- Mohammad Nourmohammadi is now the head of the Statistical Research and Training Centre of Iran, Tehran, Iran.
- Mohammad Nourmohammadi won the award for Outstanding Research by a Graduate Student, 2014.
- Armin Hatefi got a 2-year Postdoctoral position from the Fields institute and University of Toronto.
- Armin Hatefi won award for the Best Academic Performance by a PhD student, 2013.
- Armin Hatefi won award for Outstanding Research by a Graduate Student, 2013.
Research grants and awards
- URGP–University Research Grants Program, to work on "Deep learning for automated osteoporosis diagnosis using medical imaging data", 2018-2019.
- TLEF–Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund of University of Manitoba, to work on "Towards a Personalized and More Accessible Machine Learning Course", 2018-2019.
- Mitacs Accelerate grant with Manitoba Hydro International Ltd, to work on "Wind Turbine Power Curve Modelling for Reliable Power Prediction Using Isotonic Regression and Different Loss Functions", 2017-2019.
- University of Manitoba, Faculty of Science collaborative grant, 2017-2018.
- Engage Grant, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada, 2016-2017. Partial discharge source classification based on analyzing pd pulse waveforms using statistical pattern recognition techniques.
- Discovery Grant, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada, 2015-2020. Statistical inference based on complex survey designs using rank information and order statistics.
- University of Manitoba Merit Award for Research, 2014.
- University of Manitoba, Interdisciplinary/New Directions Research Collaboration Initiations Grants, 2014.
- Rh Award for outstanding contributions to scholarship and research in the natural sciences, University of Manitoba, 2012.
- NSERC Research Tools and Instruments Grant [joint with Dr. Leblanc (PI) and 9 others], 2012.
- University of Manitoba Merit Award for Research, 2011.
- NSERC Discovery Grant: "Decision theoretic inference in problems involving balanced loss functions, constraint parameter spaces and finite mixture models", 2010-2015.
- Start-up Grant, University of Manitoba, 2010-2012.
Supervision of highly qualified personnel
- Keith Uzelmann, M.Sc. In progress. (May 2018--Current).
- Mehrdad Mehrjoo, Ph.D., In progress. ( September 2015--Current, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Co-advisor: Dr. Miroslow Pawlak)
- Paramoda Jayasigne, M.Sc., In progress. (September 2017--Current, Co-advisor: Dr. Behzad Kordi))
- Ayilara Olawale, Ph.D., In progress. (January 2017--Current, Co-advisor: Dr. Lisa Lix).
- Sediqeh Omidvar, Ph.D., In progress. (September 2014--Current, Co-advisor: Dr. Nader Nematollahi, Allameh Tabatabaie University, Tehran, Iran).
- Nasrin Faraji, Ph.D., In progress. (September 2016--Current, Co-advisor: Dr. Nader Nematollahi, Allameh Tabatabaie University, Tehran, Iran).
I have had the pleasure to work with the following very talented students who successfully graduated under my supervision over the past few years:
- Hamed Janani, Postdoctoral in Statistics, (August 2016--February 2017).
- Mohammad Nourmohammadi, Postdoctoral in Statistics, (September 2015-November 2015).
- Nahid Jafari Tabrizi, Postdoctoral in Statistics, (Feb-Aug, 2012).
- Sahar Nazari, Ph.D. (September 2013--January 2017, Department of Statistics at Shiraz University, Iran. Co-advisor: Mahmood Karrati-Kopaie)
- "Nonparametric Density and Distribution Function Estimation Under Partially Rank-Order Set Sampling"
- Elaheh Torkashvand, Ph.D. (September 2011--August 2016, Co-advisor: Mahmoud Torabi),
- "On small area estimation problem with measurement errors".
- Armin Hatefi, Ph.D. (September 2010-August 2014),
- "Mixture model analysis with rank-based samples".
- Mohammad Nourmohammadi, Ph.D. (January 2010-November 2014, Co-advisor: Brad Johnson).
- "Statistical inference with randomized nomination sampling".
- Shahab Shokrzadedh, Ph.D. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Manitoba. Co-advisor: Eric Bibeau)
- "Battery Repurposing of Plug-in Electric Vehicles: A Framework for the Integration of Renewable Energy and Electrified Transportation"
- Saeid Amiri, Visiting Ph.D. Student from the Uppsala University, Sweden, 2010.
- M.A.Inesh Prabuddha, M.Sc. (September 2016--June 2018, Co-advisor: Dr. Saman Muthukumarana).
"Shrinkage Estimators under Generalized Garrote and LINEX Loss Functions for Regression Analysis".
- Parisa Azimaie, M.Sc. (September 2015--August 2017), Co-advisor: Dr. Yaser Maddahi from the NueroArm, Calgary).
"Calibrating Surgical Smart Forceps Using Bootstrap and Multilevel Modeling Techniques".
- Ayilara Olawale, M.Sc. (September 2014--September 2016),
"Quantile regression with rank-based samples".
- Sayed Jamal Mirkamali, M.Sc. thesis defended 2008, Allameh Tabatabaie University, Tehran, Iran.
“Proportion estimation using ranked set sampling”.
Saeed Majidi, M.Sc. thesis defended 2008, Allameh Tabatabaie University, Tehran,
“Ratio estimators using ranked set sampling”.
- Negin Mahlooji, M.Sc. thesis defended 2006, Allameh Tabatabaie University, Tehran, Iran, Co-supervisor: Dr. Nader Nematolahi.
“Sequential point estimation of the scale parameter”.
- Statistical Society of Canada (SSC)
- American Statistical Association (ASA)
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS)
- International Society for Bayesian Analysis (ISBA)