We are having a 2nd submission week for portfolios! Prospective students are invited to submit their portfolio between Monday April 15 and Friday April 19 between 9 am – 4 pm.
Students wishing to be admitted to the School of Art must submit a portfolio of their work in addition to an Application for Undergraduate Studies. This requirement includes students applying for direct entry into the BFA Program and the Diploma in Art Program, as well as students transferring into the program from University 1 or another faculty.
Prospective students are invited to submit their portfolio between Friday, March 1 and Friday, March 8, 2013. Hours for submission are 9 am - 4 pm, Monday through Friday. Portfolios will be assessed by a panel of faculty. You will be notified by mail by April 15 as to whether your portfolio was accepted.
Please print 2 copies of the completed 2013 Portfolio Submission Form. Attach one copy to the exterior of your portfolio and hand in the second copy to the office staff. Also ensure that your name, address, email and telephone number are printed on your portfolio.
Portfolios should be submitted to:
Portfolio Selection Committee
School of Art
180 Dafoe Road
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg MB R3T 2N2
t 204.474.9367 or 1.800.432.1960, ext. 9367 (Toll free in North America)
A portfolio typically includes a selection of work completed within the past two years (10-15 artworks, maximum 20) that has examples selected from the following:
There is no perfect portfolio or written submission. Each portfolio is unique and demonstrates the strengths of its maker.
DOS AND DON'TS
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOU SUBMISSION
Your submission must be complete for review. Please include all of the following items or your submission may not be considered:
1. Written Statement
Complete a written statement answering the following questionnaire. Please limit your answers to 50 words for each question. (Print this questionnaire and include it along with your artwork or digital submission.)
2. Portfolio Inventory List
Make a "Portfolio Inventory List" identifying works included in your portfolio. (Number each work and the corresponding list. For each item include title, media, size and date.) Print this list for inclusion with your submission.
3. Portfolio Format
Submit your portfolio in one of the two following forms:
Flat Cardboard Portfolio
- 36" x 30" (92 cm x 76 cm) maximum
- Clearly print your name on the portfolio and tie or tape the portfolio closed. Number each item (discreetly on the back) as it corresponds to your inventory list
- Do not roll work.
- Work that is too fragile, valuable, large or temporal to be included in your portfolio may be documented as either still photos or video. (This may include copies of journal pages, 3D, or temporary installation works. If needed, you may include a close-up detail image of complex works or a second angle of a three-dimensional piece.) Video excerpts should be no longer than 2 minutes total running length (CD-R or DVD; see guidelines opposite)
- On standard CDR or DVD disc (MAC and PC compatible. Please test your disk to insure it works on both platforms.)
- Clearly print your name on the disc and case (Do not use labels on the media.)
- Do not submit images in slideshow program formats such as PowerPoint or Keynote.
- Submit only clear, good quality still images in JPEG format not to exceed 1024 x 768 pixels at 72 ppi.
- Submit video files in MPEG format. Video excerpts should be no longer than 2 minutes total running length.
- Submit audio files in MP3 format.
4. Portfolio Submission Form
Print 2 copies of the Portfolio Submission form; attach one copy to the portfolio, and hand the second copy in to staff at the School of Art Office.