Visiting Student Researchers or Interns

Visiting International Student Researchers/Interns (VSR/VISRI) are students at other international institutions who come to the University of Manitoba, at the invitation of a faculty member, in order to conduct research. These visitors:

  • Are not enrolled in any courses at the U of M
  • Are conducting research work at the U of M, which is usually intended to fulfill their degree program requirements at their home university 
  • May be paid by scholarship programs available through their home country government or the Canadian government
  • For further information please contact

If you would like to invite a Visiting Student Researcher or Intern, you will need to follow the steps below to enable them obtain a labour market impact exemption work permit. Please begin early: processing time is a minimum of three weeks for the LMIA exemption.  Work permit processing time will vary, but can take months.

All Visiting Student Researchers or Interns must register with the International Centre regardless of immigration status (procedure below). The International Centre will provide them with Library and IST access, as well as other arrival supports.  

If The Visiting Student Has Received A Formal Academic Research Award Or Internship In Their Own Name:

  • U of M Host should submit the following to
    • Complete the letter of invite (IV.9) found here 
    • Student’s’ scholarship award letter
    • A completed CIC document found here (docx)
  • After these documents are received in fully completed form, you will be sent a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) number.
  • Submit the LMIA exemption number to the visiting student. The student will use this when applying for their work permit.
  • Request that the student complete and submit a Release and Indemnification form (IV9.a) to you before coming to campus. Store this waiver according to your department policy.
  • After arrival in Canada, visiting researchers must e-mail with their letter of invitation and work permit attached. Since visiting researchers are not students, the International Centre will help them to access:
    • A sponsored computer account 
    • A library card and access to online resources 
    • Information about living in Winnipeg 

If The Visiting Student Does Not Hold A Formal Academic Research Award Or Internship In Their Own Name:

There are no current LMIA exemptions for students enrolled on courses outside of Canada if they do not have a formal research award or internship in their own name. An LMIA exemption is needed if you want the visiting student to work on campus (paid or unpaid). Please note that a stipend paid by the Principal Investigator at the visiting student’s home institution does not qualify as a formal research award.

However, in some cases the student may come for a limited period of time under certain conditions. Examples include the categories of:

  • Visiting student is self-funded/funded by their home institution for up to six months to work entirely on their own research when they are in Canada (i.e. not directly on the U of M host’s project); 
  • Visiting students from some countries can often get ‘open’ work permits through the Canadian International Experience Class program;
  • There are also some other open work permit holders who can work in Canada depending on their circumstances;
  • The Canadian Global Skills Strategy may allow work permit exemptions to researchers who are coming to the University for up to 120 days maximum in any year.

Next Steps:

  • Any host who would like to bring a student registered outside of Canada to the University of Manitoba can complete the following Foreign Visitor Category Assessment form found here (docx) and send it to 
  • Jayne will analyze the information on the Foreign Visitor Category Assessment and identify if the visitor can come to Canada.
  • The host will receive a return email from Jayne within ten working days. This email will include any conditions that may apply for the duration of the proposed visit and any attachments or links the host will need to create a formal and accurate invitation letter that includes directions for the visiting student to take the necessary steps they need to do before they can arrive in Canada.
  • The visiting student must complete and submit a Release and Indemnification form(IV9.a) to you before arriving on campus. Store this waiver according to your department policy.
  • After arrival in Canada, visiting researchers must e-mail with their letter of invitation and work permit attached.

i)  A sponsored computer account
ii)  A library card and access to online resources
iii) Information about living in Winnipeg

  •  The host department must keep a copy of all paperwork for six years, as required by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), as the University can be audited for compliance with the law.


Tara Cleve
Team Lead, Partnerships & Mobility
(204) 474-6836 

Asia & Oceania
Kennis Fung
International Partnership Officer

Anna Polonyi
International Partnership Officer
(204) 474-6835 

Americas, Middle East & Africa
Cameron Zywina
International Partnership Officer
(204) 474-6418