Immigration and Documents

To study in Canada, most foreign nationals need to apply for a study permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Most international students will also need a Temporary Residency Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

It is your responsibility to understand the terms and conditions on your study permit. You are also responsible for ensuring your study permit is valid at all times. When your study permit is issued, IRCC recommends that you read the permit’s expiry date, review the personal information on your permit to ensure it is correct and make sure you understand everything printed on your permit. If there is anything on your permit that you do not understand, you should ask the Canadian Border Services agent to explain it to you or ask IRCC directly.

You may need to extend your study permit to ensure it remains valid for the duration of your program. It is recommended that you write this date in any calendar that you use so that, if necessary, you can take action early and apply for extension in an appropriate time before the expiry of your permit.

If you are an international high school student who is already in Canada, IRCC has specific directions for what you need to do to change your permit before beginning post-secondary studies.