Health Coverage Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Do I still have health coverage? What should I do if I get sick?
If you currently have a Manitoba Health Card, you are fully covered until September 1, 2018. You can access health care as you usually would.
What will happen after September 1st?
The U of M is looking at health insurance options with other post-secondary institutions in the province. This insurance would be made available to international students through the university: this means you would not need to find your own coverage.  We will provide more information to international students as it becomes available.
Should I buy health coverage now?
If you have a current Manitoba Health Card, you do not need to buy additional health insurance to be covered while you are in Manitoba.  Your coverage is effective until September 1st 2018
I didn’t get my Manitoba Health Card, but my study permit is valid for 6 months or longer. Am I covered?
If you do not have a health card and have questions about your current eligibility for provincial health coverage, contact the Province of Manitoba directly by phone: 204-786-7101 or toll free: 1-800-392-1207 Email: Their office is located at 300 Carlton Street in downtown Winnipeg.
How does this affect my UMSU Health and Dental coverage?
If you have a Manitoba Health Card, you can access UMSU Health and Dental as you usually would. After September 1st, an additional health insurance plan will be made available to international students which will be compatible with UMSU Health and Dental.
How will I access health insurance after September 1st?
The University of Manitoba is still reviewing options for health insurance, so this is not certain. We will provide more information as it becomes available.
What will this health insurance cost?
There will be a cost associated with health insurance. However, the University of Manitoba is negotiating along with other post-secondary institutions in the province to provide you with an option that is as low cost as possible while providing comprehensive coverage.
Where can I go to ask questions?
The International Student Advisors at the International Centre are available to provide guidance and support to international students at the UofM. To meet with an Advisor, please contact the IC front desk at 204-474-8501, or in-person at 541 University Centre. Email:

Page updated: March 28, 2018, 2:30 PM.