Credit and Grade Transfer

Not all courses taken at partner universities are eligible for transfer back to The University of Manitoba. In order to get credit for courses, students participating in an International Centre Exchanges must submit an Application for Letter of Permission (LOP) form to the Student Exchange Coordinator.

Letter of Permission for Transfer of Credit

Students are responsible for filling out the Application for Letter of Permission form, collecting detailed course descriptions and submitting the completed form to the Student Exchange Coordinator  (NOT the Registrar’s Office). If a student is unable to find enough course information, the Exchange Advisor can provide further assistance. Courses will not be approved without sufficient information.

The Application for Letter of Permission process is managed by the Registrar’s Office, and the form can be accessed here.

It can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months for a course to be evaluated so it is a good idea to get the process started as soon as full course outlines are available from the host institution. Course outlines are not universal, and your host institution may not have them available. You may have to undertake the credit transfer process during or after your exchange has ended. A more detailed list of Guidelines is provided at the end of this document.

Once the evaluation has been completed, the Registrar’s Office will mail a letter outlining the list of approved courses to the student’s postal mailing address. Students should make sure that their address in Aurora is current. Students can check Aurora for updates on the status of their course evaluations under “Statement of Transfer Credit”.

Grade Transfer

Students need to ensure that transcripts from their host institution are sent to the Student Exchange Advisor at the University of Manitoba at the end of each exchange term. Grades will be transferred back and will be included in University of Manitoba grade point averages. The Registrar’s Office uses international grade conversion tables.

Selecting Courses

Students should meet with an Academic Advisor from their faculty at the University of Manitoba prior to selecting courses for their exchange term. Knowing which courses are still required and how many credits are needed for graduation can help students make better choices. Students may also want to bring along course descriptions for the host institution in order to get some sense of how they might transfer back. See our Academic Advising Worksheet (pdf).