Travel Safety and Crisis Support

Students, staff and faculty participating in University of Manitoba travel are encouraged to use the following resources in case of emergency:

International SOS
The University of Manitoba’s first point of contact in an international emergency, International SOS provides comprehensive medical and travel security assistance service. They are available 24/7, 365 days per year, and free to faculty, students, and staff. They can help you manage risks pre-departure and respond to medical or travel emergencies – such as hospitalization, natural disasters/conflict, or lost passports – while you are away. Note that you must also carry proof of your travel health insurance in order to receive medical assistance.

  • Request your free International SOS card from the International Centre
    Carry this card with you whenever you travel
  • U of M Membership Number: 27AYCA524935
  • Dedicated Tel: +1 (215) 942-8478
  • Register online and download their free mobile app for up-to-date travel information

Students, staff and faculty travelling on university-related business are also encouraged to contact their local emergency number, a local program coordinator or administrative contact in case of an emergency. More information on local emergency numbers can be found on the International SOS website and app.

Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA)

  • All Canadian students, staff, and faculty should register with ROCA prior to departure:  
  • Registration allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency, and enables you to receive important information and supports, including emergency evacuation, before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

Global Affairs Canada (Canadian Foreign Affairs)

  • Global Affairs Canada offers numerous resources on a variety of topics, including medical, cultural and other travel topics. You can also browse travel advice and advisories prior to travel, and download their free mobile app.
  • Canadian citizens can request emergency assistance by contacting:
  • A list of Canadian offices abroad can be found at the following website:  
  • Non-Canadians may be able to request emergency assistance from their country’s consular services

Lost or stolen passports/travel documents

If your passport is lost or stolen, contact your consulate or embassy immediately to report the disappearance and inquire about obtaining a replacement. In most cases, you will be required to file a police report. If you are an international student, you may also want to contact an international student advisor at the International Centre regarding the permits and visas that were in your passport when it was lost or stolen. If you would like guidance, book an appointment with an international student advisor by calling 204-474-8501 or dropping by 541 UMSU University Centre.

For emergencies in Canada, please call 911.

U of M Security Services can provide emergency service on campus:

If you have questions regarding your travel and safety, please contact your U of M program coordinator or the International Centre