MPT Code of Ethics
|The University of Manitoba program in Physical Therapy graduates reflective practitioners who are prepared to meet the challenges of client-centered, evidence based practice.
All of the following statements may apply to interaction with students, professors, colleagues, other health care professionals, clients and the client’s family and/or support system.
|Professional Attitude and Behaviour
- We will respect the rights, values, and beliefs of others.
- We will be empathetic and compassionate.
- We will be accountable for our actions and resulting outcomes.
- We will value the contribution of all individuals and work collaboratively during our interactions.
- We will uphold our professional integrity by using objective judgement and honesty.
- We will conduct ourselves in an ethical and responsible manner.
- We will advocate for the best possible patient/client outcome.
- We will use effective and appropriate communication.
- We will maintain professionalism and objectivity.
|Knowledge and Skills
- We will accurately and effectively self-evaluate and be responsible for maintaining quality of care.
- We will practice individualized, safe and appropriate care.
- We will integrate our academic knowledge, skills and experience into evidence-based clinical practice.
- We will be responsible for life-long learning.
|Support of the Profession |
- We will participate in the mentorship of fellow students and colleagues.
- We will assume leadership roles in the community and as part of a patient’s health care team when warranted.
- We will promote community health and well-being.
- We will be committed to the promotion of the profession.
- We will advance the art and science of physical therapy by supporting research.