CM Magazine: The Little Math Puzzle Contest
The Little Math Puzzle Contest
Tom Murray, the coordinator of the The Math Puzzle, has been kind
enough to give CM permission to run the weekly Little
Math Puzzle Contest (inspired by The Great Canadian Trivia
Royal West Academy (a high school) in Montreal, Quebec
is sponsoring a little math puzzle contest.
This contest is open to all participants but is designed for students in
grades five through ten. English will be the language used for all problems
and if their solutions relate to a language, the language will be English.
Each week a new puzzle will be presented and the answers and winners from
two weeks earlier will be posted.
Answers are to be received by 8:00 a.m. eastern time the following Friday.
The answers will then be judged, and a correct answer along with the
winners' names, will be posted with the puzzle two weeks later.
Both individual students and entire classes are welcome to participate.
Do not to send your answers to CM.
Instead, please send
all answers to Andrea Pollock and Alex Nazarov at the following
With your solution please include your names, school, grade, and
e-mail address, and your city.
Question #10 from two weeks ago was the following:
What are the next three letters in this set?
B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, M, __, __, __
The vowels have been left out so the next three are N, P, Q.
The Winners -- Solvers of
The people who answered the Puzzle # 10 correctly were:
- Edgar Lee
Lakewood Academy: Glenwood, NF
- Jamie, Robbie, Wai-Kheong, Scott, and Spencer in Mrs. Spares's Grade 5
Class, Pine Grove School: Oakville, ON
- Class 7-1
Pilgrim Wood Public School: Oakville, ON
- Donna and Denise Careen
Fatima Academy: St. Bride's, NF
- Todd Christenson, Megan Clear, Steven Cross, Jordan Denny, Gary Grimwood,
Aaron Guppy, Nicole Bencharski, Todd Christenson, Megan Clear, Steven Cross,
Jordan Denny, Aaron Guppy, Ashley Klassen, Roxanne Jeanson, Jonathan
Lamoureux, Monica Kostenchuk, Christopher Mcculloch, Kyle Shwab, Jacquelynn
Sharman, Shannon Toshack, Laura Stasiuk ,Travis Pich=8E, Nigel Dawes, Keith
Day,Michelle Crease, GRADE 5
Aron Houssin, Greg Anderson, Keith Giroux, Kevin Fawley Grade 6
Ecole St-Germain, St-Vital School Division No.6: Winnipeg, MB
- Ms. Marcheta Gallant Classes: 9-1 and 9-3
Grade Nine Labrador City Collegiate: Labrador City, NF
- Jane Scaplen's grade 6 French Immersion class,
Sacred Heart Elementary: Marystown, NF
- Mr T. Burnie's 7/8 class, St. Ann School: Toronto, ON
- Adam Rudolph, Josh Moses for the Junior Division of Yorkhill Elementary
School, and Paul Krebs (8C) for the Intermediate Division of Yorkhill Elementary School.
Onward to Excellence -- Yorkhill Elementary School:
350 Hilda Avenue, Thornhill, ON
- Katharine Gasbarini, Age 13, Grade 8,
Gregory A. Hogan School:
- Brian Thompson, Grade 9,
Cunard Junior High School:
- Sameer Safaya Grade 8,
German Swiss International School:
Hong Kong. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ashley Parise and Kristen O'Donnell. Mrs.Hamilton's grade 7-1 class,
Florenceville Middle School: Florenceville NB
- Grade 8 Math class,
Hedges School, Winnipeg, MB (c/o Mark Kutcy)
- Clifford Ketchen and Jason Andrews, Grade 6 Students,
Whyte Ridge Elementary: Winnipeg, MB
- Jason Dodd, David Clark, Jordan Uyede, Dan Stolfi, Josh Burton, Ryan Neil,
Mr. Robinson's Math Classes,
College Avenue Public School: Guelph, ON
- All students (Sec. I - V),
Herzliah Snowdon in Montreal. (Lorna Clamen -- Computer Science Resource Person)
- Hitesh Vera Gr. 4,
Wild Rose School: St. Albert, AB
- Greg Crossley, Shane Clark, and Venessa Richard, Mr. Small's Grade 8 Math,
Quispamsis Junior High: Quispamsis, NB
- Ram Vadi, Adam Hoddinott, Patrick Connolly, Mrs. N. Seaman's Grade 5 Class, Lakefield Elementary School: Quispamsis, NB
- Mr. DellaRossa's Grade 5/6 class, Westminster Public School: Vaughan, ON
- Andrew Smallwood, Kyle Barry, of Mr. Walker's grade 4 class, Hastings School: Winnipeg, MB
- Matthew Crease, Kristen Coleman, Grade 5,
Sheridan Public School: Oakville ON
- Jardine, Grade 5, Keswick Valley Memorial School: Burtt's Corner, NB
- Shannon Shaw, Nadine Melvin, Grade 9
Jill Houlihan, Kristen Pelham, and
Andrew Clark, Grade 8
Cunard Junior High School: Halifax, NS
- Kurtis Nelson, Laura Grundy, Gabrielle, Sara Lavoratore, Erin Croucher,
Amanda Gardiner, Julia Knight, Nicole Grimmond, Katie Merchant, 6th Grade,
Mr. J. Cowley (teacher)
Sacred Heart Elementary School: Sarnia, ON
- Grade 4 - 5 Estey, Keswick Valley Memorial School: Burtt's Corner, NB
- Abby Stimson, grade 9, Dalhousie Regional High School: NB
- Nick Humber, Brian Chartrand, Mr.Garbaty Gr.8 class, St. Margaret's School: Sarnia, ON
- Mrs. Ridland's Gr. 6 class, Our Lady of Mercy: ON
- Ms. Dawson's Grade 7 class, Pilgrim Wood Public School: Oakville, ON
- Jessica Reiss, Grade 6, Gregory A. Hogan: Sarnia, ON
- Craig, Charley, Danielle, Eva, Chad, Maggie, Andy, Jake Jacqueline, Amanda, Jamie, Sara, Gr. 7, St.Benedict School: Sarnia, ON
- Mrs. Quinn-Vaillant's Grade 8 Class, Our Lady Of Mercy School: Sarnia, Ontario.
- Marc Mitchell, Tiffany Cater, Joel Robinson, Ricky Ashar, Evan Powell, David
Orr, Madison D'Andrea, Daniela Azzolina, Grade 5, Gregory A. Hogan: Sarnia, ON
- And the great unidentified......
Carrie_Donaldson@.uucp, "Carrie Donaldson,therese"
turnab@ATCON.COM (Margot Anne Beck)?
We are using a puzzle sent to us by Doug and Gerrick of Ms. Dawson's grade
seven (class 7-3) in Pilgrim Wood School, Oakville Ontario.
What are the next three letters in the sequence.
w, e, r, t, y, u __, __, __
Send your response by 8:00 a.m., Friday, December 1st to:
Thank you for sending us this unique problem. We hope to receive
our readers help in the future as well.
Andrea Pollock and Alex Nazarov
Royal West Academy, Montreal West, Quebec.
Copyright © 1995 the Manitoba Library Association.
Reproduction for personal use is permitted only if this copyright notice is
maintained. Any other reproduction is prohibited without permission.
The Manitoba Library Association
Go back to CM Welcome page
Go back to Table of
Contents for this Issue