Bison Men's Chorus - History
The Bison Men's Chorus was formed in September 1985 by Dr. Larry Patterson of the University of Manitoba, Faculty of Education in cooperation with the University's Faculty of Music. The goal was (and remains) to foster University and Community relations by providing expanded choral opportunities for students, faculty, staff and members of the Winnipeg and area general community. From its inception the Chorus has performed a broad selection of music styles including traditional male chorus selections, spirituals, contemporary, jazz as well as original and commissioned pieces. The Bison Men's Chorus is an "affiliated organization" of the University of Manitoba Desautels Faculty of Music.
Larry Patterson served as the Chorus's director from its beginnings in 1985 until 1997 when Reno Gerl took over as director. Steve Denby held the position from 1999 until 2017. The current director, Stuart Sladden began his tenure in January of 2018.
The Chorus has produced a number of recordings over the years.
- Home for the Holidays (cassette)
- Brown and Gold 1995 (CD & cassette)
- He(a)rd in Manitoba 2000 (CD)
- He(a)rd at Christmas 2006 (CD)
- He(a)rd Across Canada 2010 (CD)
In addition to its regular concert schedule the Chorus has participated in a number local, national and international concerts of some significance.
- 1988 - CBC National Radio Competition for Amateur Choirs
- June 1990 – Gala Concert with the Ron Paley Trio, Winnipeg , Manitoba
- July 1990 – Pacific International Festival of Male Choirs, Vancouver , British Columbia
- November 1991 – Manitoba Choral Association Choral Concert Gala, Winnipeg , Manitoba
- November 1994 – Augustana Concert Musical Traditions, St. Paul , Minnesota
- April 1995 – Canadian Rocky Mountain Festival, Banff , Alberta
- January 2006 – Medelssohn's Elijah with the University of Manitoba Singers , the University Women's Choir and the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, Winnipeg , Manitoba
- May 2008 – Sister Cities Concert: with the Setegaya Citizens Chorus from Setagaya , Japan , Winnipeg , Manitoba
- May 2010 - Brothers in Harmony: A Celebration of Male Voices in Winnipeg with the Winnipeg Golden Chordsmen, the Hoosli Ukrainian Male Chorus, the Winnipeg Male Chorus, the Faith and Life Chorus and the Winnipeg Boy's Choir, Winnipeg, Manitoba