Our main interest is to develop and test novel vaccine platforms for different applications including the protection against emerging pathogens. The new vaccine platforms that are being generated and evaluated are mainly derived from viruses, pathogenic as well as non-pathogenic (e.g. HIV, Adenovirus, AAV). Our efforts focus on modifying existing viruses at the molecular level and/or creating hybrid viruses for safe and efficient stimulation of a protective immunity against different pathogens including containment Level (CL) 4 viruses. An ongoing objective is to evaluate each vaccine strategy with the intent of identifying immune mechanisms and requirements correlating with immune protection. These findings should facilitate future selection and development of safer and more efficient vaccine strategies
- Kobinger GP, Leung A, Neufeld J, Richardson JS, Falzarano D, Smith G, Tierney K, Patel A, and Weingartl HM. Replication, Pathogenicity, Shedding and Transmission of Zaire ebolavirus in Pigs. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2011 Jul;204(2):200-8.
- Fagone P, Shedlock DJ, Bao H, Kawalekar OU, Yan J, Gupta D, Morrow MP, Patel A, Kobinger GP, Muthumani K, Weiner DB. Molecular adjuvant HMGB1 enhances anti-influenza immunity during DNA vaccination. Gene Therapy. 2011 May 5.
- Pillet S, Kobasa D, Meunier I, Gray M, Laddy D, Weiner DB, von Messling V, Kobinger GP. Cellular immune response in the presence of protective antibody levels correlates with protection against 1918 influenza in ferrets. Vaccine. 2011 Jan 3.
- Patel A, Tikoo S, and Kobinger G. A Porcine Adenovirus with Low Human Seroprevalence Is a Promising Alternative Vaccine Vector to Human Adenovirus 5 in an H5N1 Virus Disease Model. PLoS ONE. 2010 Dec, Vol 5; Issue 12; e15301.
- Ao Z, Wang X, Bello AJ, Danappa Jayappa K, Yu Z, Fowke K, He X, Chen X, Li J, Kobinger GP, Yao X. Characterization of anti-HIV activity mediated by R88-Apobec3G mutant fusion proteins in CD4+ T cells, PBMCs and macrophages. Human Gene Therapy. 2010 Dec 23.
- Hamelin ME, Baz M, Abed Y, Couture C, Joubert P, Beaulieu E, Bellerose N, Plante M, Mallett C, Schumer G, Kobinger G.P., Boivin G. Oseltamivir-resistant pandemic A/H1N1 virus is as virulent as its wild-type counterpart in mice and ferrets. PLoS Pathogens. 2010 Jul 22;6(7):e1001015.
- Richardson JS, Dekker JD, Croyle MA, Kobinger GP. Recent advances in Ebolavirus vaccine development. Human Vaccines. 2010 Jun 4;6(6).
- A. Bello, K. Tran, H. Feldmann, M. Doria, A. Auricchio and G.P. Kobinger. Isolation and Characterization of Novel Adeno-Associated Viruses from Porcine Tissues. Gene Therapy, 2009 Jul 23.
- J. Richardson, M. Yao, K. Tran, M. Croyle, J. Strong, H. Feldmann and G.P. Kobinger. Enhanced Protection Against Ebola Virus Mediated by an Improved Adenovirus-Based Vaccine. PLoS ONE, 2009;4(4):e5308.
- A. Patel, K. Tran, M. Gray, T. Taylor, Y. Li, H. Feldmann, D. Kobasa and G.P. Kobinger. Evaluation of conserved and variable influenza antigens for immunization against different isolates of H5N1 viruses. Vaccine, 2009 May 18;27(23):3083-9.
- J.E. Strong, G. Wong, S. Jones, A. Grolla, S. Theriault, G. Kobinger and H. Feldmann. Dormant Ebola Virus is Reactivated by the Ras/MAPK Pathway: A Novel Mechanism of Reservoir to Human Transmission. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Nov 3.
- G. P. Kobinger, D. Weiner, Q-C Yu and J.M. Wilson. Filovirus-pseudotyped lentiviral vector can efficiently and stably transduce airway epithelium in vivo. Nature Biotechnology, 2001, 19: 225-230.