Health Statistics Links
- Canadian Institute for Health Information
- Canadian Rural Information Service: Health directory (Health Canada)
- Centers for Disease Control - US Data and Statistics
- Disability Statistics Center - US
- Finding and Using Health Statistics: A Self-Study Course (NLM) - An excellent self-study course that explains a lot of the "why and why not" questions regarding health statistics.
- Government of Canada - List of downloadable publications
- Guide to Health Statistics at Statistics Canada
- National Center for Health Statistics
- POPLINE (Johns Hopkins Center for Communication) - coverage of population, family planning, and related health issues, including family planning technology and programs, fertility, and population law and policy.
- Public Health Agency of Canada - free statistical publications on Cancer, Communicable Diseases, HIV/AIDS, Injuries, Child Health, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Tuberculosis, STD's
- Population Reference Bureau (US) - topics include Marriage and Family, Population Estimates and Projections, Education, Race and Ethnicity, Income and Poverty, Migration, Foreign-Born Population, Children, Older Population, Political Arithmetic, Fertility, Labor Force and Employment, and Mortality.
- Statistics (NIH) - extensive list of US Health Statistics sites
- Statistics Canada
- Statistics Canada - Downloadable publications (free). Please see headings "Health" and "Population and Demography"
- Basic Country Profiles for the Americas (Pan American Health Organization)
- Census Bureau State Data Centers (US)
- Childstats.gov - Provides statistical reports on the status of U.S. children and their families. Coverage includes population and family characteristics, economic security, health, behavior and social environment, and education.
- College of Physicans and Surgeons of Manitoba - Reports
- Community Profiles
- Basic Country Health Profiles, Summaries, 1999 - Pan American Health Organization (includes Canadian data)
- FedStats (US) - Gateway to statistics from over 100 U.S. Federal agencies.
- Global Trends - In the categories of Population, Health, Food and Agriculture, Women, Children, Economic Development, Climate and Environment, and Social Indicators you can find current statistics as well as projections as much as fifty years ahead. (UN)
- HCUP (Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project) - HCUPnet generates statistics using the 1997 data from the Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS) and from the State Inpatient Databases (SID) for those states that have agreed to participate.
- PeriStats: An Interactive Perinatal Data Resource - US - Developed by the March of Dimes, this site provides maternal, infant, and child heath-related data at the state level.
- Population Health Approach - Health Canada
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- Statistics, Data, and Research Information - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (formerly Health Care Financing Administration) (US)
- WHO Statistical Information System (WHOSIS) - Health and health-related statistical information from the WHO Global Programme on Evidence for Health Policy
- World Health Report 2000 Health Systems: Improving Performance - an analysis of the increasingly important influence of health systems in the daily lives of people worldwide.
- UN Statistics Division Common Database
- United Nations Population Information Network (United Nations)
|Specialized web sites
- Aboriginal peoples of Canada: A demographic profile
- Canadian Cancer Statistics
- Disease Surveillance Online - cancer, cardiovascular and notifiable diseases
- FluNet: Global Influenza Surveillance Network (World Health Organization) - News, reports, and maps for the current international flu situation, plus country reports for past years. There are also links to national and international flu Web sites.
- FluWatch (Public Health Agency of Canada) - Excellent source of epidemiological data with weekly updates on virus type, location and number of cases. Includes maps showing activity over time. Also contains consumer health information on signs and symptoms of the flu.
- HIV / AIDS Statistics
- HIV and AIDS in Canada - 1997 - present from Public Health Agency of Canada
- National Atlas of Cancer Mortality in the United States 1950-1994
- National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES) - Database of public schools, private schools, colleges, universities, and public libraries in the United States and its territories. Searchable by name of institution, city, or zip code.
- Statistics on Substance Abuse
- WHO Oral Health Country/Area Profile Programme
|Full-text Statistics Resources
Faculty of Medicine Archives - Neil John Maclean Health Sciences Library
770 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, MB Canada
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB
R3E 0W3 Canada