The first library established at the University of Manitoba was in the Department of Science in 1904. In 1907, the University Council set aside a yearly sum for the purchase of books and bound journals and Mrs. W.H. Thompson was appointed first University Librarian. In 1935, a Carnegie Corporation grant allowed for the establishment of a junior library in the University administration building. However, the library collection still remained scattered among several buildings on both the Fort Garry and Broadway campuses. In 1953, to commemorate the University's 75th anniversary, construction began on a new central library eventually called the Elizabeth Dafoe Library in honour of Miss Dafoe's 23 years of service as Head Librarian. Additions were made to the Dafoe Library in 1960, 1963, and again in 1981 to accommodate the growing number of acquisitions and students.
Presently, in addition to the Elizabeth Dafoe Library, the University of Manitoba Libraries system includes the following units: Agriculture, Architecture and Fine Arts, Dental (Nielson), Education (D.S. Woods), Engineering (Donald W. Craik), Law (E.K. Williams), Management (Albert D. Cohen), Medical, Music (Ekhardt Gramatte), St. John's, St. Paul's and Science.
Karen Adams, University Librarian, 2008-2014
Compiled by Lewis St. George Stubbs from the Libraries fonds (Ua 9, Box 33, Folder 4), and the University General Course Calendar