Title: University of Manitoba Press fonds.
Extent: 0.4 m of textual records.
Administrative history: The University of Manitoba Press was established in 1945 to fulfil the need to acquire scarce textbooks during World War II. The University Press bought the rights to re-print books under the University emblem. In 1967, when the Press began the publication of Mosaic, an inter-disciplinary literary periodical, it became necessary for the Press to register as a printing service. Policies of the University Press were determined by an editorial committee appointed by the President and consisting of university staff and a representative of the Alumni Association. The Vice-President (Academic) was the Chairman and the Director served as Secretary. Today, the Press is best known for its books on Native history, Canadian history, Native studies, and Canadian literary studies. The Press’s Editorial Board is comprised of faculty members from several different disciplines, appointed by the University. The Press operates under the general management of the Director.
Custodial history: The fonds was acquired by University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in 1978 from the attic of the Natural Resources Institute building while acquiring the records of the Vice-President (Academic).
Scope and content: The fonds contains records of University Press Director G. W. Leckie, consisting of drafts of manuscripts, working files, correspondence, and financial records.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available in the Archives reading room.