Title: Winnipeg Tribune Printing Plates and Newspapers Collection.
Extent: 27 printing plates. -- 3 newspapers.
Historical note: The Winnipeg Tribune flourished as a lively alternative to the Winnipeg Free Press from 1890 until it ceased publication in 1980. Following the newspaper's demise, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections was able to acquire the newsclipping "morgue" files and much of the photographic collection of the paper. The University of Manitoba's Tribune fonds has become a valuable resource for researching Winnipeg, Manitoban, and Western Canadian topics. The printing plates of this collection illustrate one aspect of printing technology used by the Tribune during its almost century of publication - "hot-metal" typesetting. Developed around the turn of the century, the lithographic process, represented by the plates in this collection, had, by the late-1960s, come to dominate the newspaper printing technology of North America. The process has since been replaced by digital methods.
Custodial history: Arnold Ross donated these printing plates and newspapers to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in 2001. Mr. Ross had been employed by the Winnipeg Tribune before it ceased publication.
Scope and content: The collection consists of lithographic printing plates from a December 1, 1969 morning and afternoon edition of the Winnipeg Tribune, and three Tribune newspapers dated 1924, 1939, and 1950.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
Related material: Winnipeg Tribune fonds (MSS 24, PC 18).
Finding aid: Finding aid is currently unavailable.