Title: Winnipeg Tribune Miniature Collection.
Extent: 0.01 m of textual records. -- 1 compact disc.
Historical note: The Winnipeg Tribune, one of western Canada's oldest newspapers, was founded in 1890 by L.R. Richardson and D.L. McIntyre who scraped together $7000 to take over the press and premises of the old Winnipeg Sun. Struggling under the restraints of outdated equipment and no telegraph service, the new paper survived and with the aid of Winnipeg's growing population and economic boom, fast became a viable alternative to the rival Winnipeg Free Press. While primarily regarded as an independent liberal paper covering local events and personalities, the Tribune also reported on national and international news. After 90 years of operation, the Winnipeg Tribune ceased publication unexpectedly in August of 1980 as a result of negotiations between competing newspaper chains. A miniature version of the December 25, 1931 edition was created for unknown reasons.
Custodial history: The collection was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by Keith Carbert in 2004.
Scope and content: The collection consists of one miniature version of the December 25, 1931 edition of the Winnipeg Tribune. The issue was scanned and the images were saved on CD which is also included in the collection.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
Related material: Winnipeg Tribune fonds (MSS 24, PC 18).
Finding aid: Finding aid is currently unavailable.