Title: Hugh Hamilton Saunderson fonds.
Extent: 0.96 m of textual records. -- 110 photographs. -- 13 audio-cassettes.
Biographical sketch: Hugh Hamilton Saunderson was born in Winnipeg in 1904, the second son of Hugh Hamilton Saunderson and Lina Dunham (DuVal). He obtained a B.A. in 1924, with the Gold Medal from the University of Manitoba. He returned and obtained a B.Sc. in 1929, and an M.Sc. in chemistry in 1930. In 1932, he obtained a Ph.D. in chemistry from McGill University with graduate scholarships from the National Research Council. He was a Research Chemist with the Canadian International Paper Company until 1947. He became Professor of Chemistry and Dean of Arts and Science in 1945 at the University of Manitoba. In 1954, he accepted an invitation to return to the University of Manitoba as its sixth president, the first of its graduates to hold that office. He remained in the position until his retirement in 1970. Dr. Saunderson was involved in and made contributions to many organizations and associations as a member, president, and chairman. He received numerous awards and honours throughout his career. He was married to Patricia Jean Coke, and they raised one son and one daughter. Saunderson died in 1984.
Custodial history: The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by Hugh Saunderson's family in two accessions in 1986. The first accession was donated by the Saunderson estate through the arrangements of Hugh Saunderson's daughter, Mrs. Tom Huber. The second accession was donated by Pat Saunderson via Isabelle Auld.
Scope and content: The fonds consists of appointment books, biographical information, correspondence, receipts, speeches and addresses, minutes, articles, reports, newspaper clippings, scrapbooks, and photographs pertaining to the life and career of Hugh Saunderson. The tape collection consists of several oral histories pertaining to the University of Manitoba.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available in the Archives reading room and an on-line finding aid is available at the link below: