Title: School of Nursing fonds.
Extent: 3.4 m of textual records. -- 11 audio-cassettes.
Administrative history: The first nursing course at the University of Manitoba was offered in 1944, the result of a Government of Canada grant to the Canadian Nurses Association for nursing education. Six years later the School of Nursing was established. In 1959 the first degree program in nursing was discussed and three years later the first students were accepted. In 1963 a four year program leading to a Bachelor of Nursing was initiated. The program was revamped in 1975 to study public health and to concentrate on illness prevention. By 1980 a Masters program had been developed, and in 1984 the Manitoba Nursing Research Institute was established at the University of Manitoba. The School of Nursing received faculty status in 1992.
Custodial history: The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Faculty of Nursing in three accessions in 1987 and 1988.
Scope and content: The fonds contains records related to curriculum development, clinical work and facilities, conferences, institutes, and communications between the School of Nursing and non-university organizations such as the Association of Registered Nurses. The fonds also contains Faculty Council minutes, budget information, faculty committee minutes, correspondence and reports, as well as material related to nursing training organized through the Division of Continuing Education. The tape collection consists of audio recordings of minutes of the Advanced Clinical Studies for Community Health Nurses Coordinating Committee and a presentation of new curriculum in Brandon, Manitoba.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available in the Archives reading room.