Faculty of Law:

An Inventory of its records at the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections

Inventory prepared by Jeanette Mockford
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
330 Elizabeth Dafoe Library
(February 2014)

Finding aid encoded by Jeanette Mockford (February 2014)
Finding aid written in English.



Collection Summary

Repository:
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
330 Elizabeth Dafoe Library

Title:
Faculty of Law

Dates:
1971-1991

Quantity:
6 cm of textual material and oversized posters

Identification:
UA 43, PC 139, TC 87, MC 18 (A13-116)

English

Return to Top


Administrative History of the Faculty of Law

The University of Manitoba first became involved in legal education in 1885 when it established a three-year course of studies leading to the LL.B. degree. This course did not include instruction, it simply prescribed a reading program with three annual examinations, which articled law students couId follow concurrently with the course prescribed by the Law Society. In the years 1911-1912, the Law Society was prompted by the Law Students Association to provide a short series of lectures. In 1913, H.A. Robson, then Manitoba's Public Utilities Commissioner and a former judge of the Court of King's Bench, organized a considerably improved course of lectures and began to lay the plans for the establishment in the following year of a permanent law school modeled after the Osgoode Hall Law School of the Law Society of Upper Canada.

The Manitoba Law School was jointly sponsored by The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba. Both bodies took part in the planning from the beginning. In the summer of 1914, they entered into an agreement, subsequently endorsed by legislation, which provided for the creation of the School, offering a three-year course consisting of lectures and apprenticeship leading to both an LL.B. degree and a call to the Bar and admission to practice. Expenses of the School were shared equally by the two parent bodies, and its operations were supervised by a jointly appointed Board of Trustees. This arrangement between The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba continued until 1966 when the Law School became the Faculty of Law of the University of Manitoba.

The Faculty of Law presently offers programs of study leading to two degrees, the LL.B. and the LL.M. The latter degree program was brought into existence in 1949 by the Manitoba Law School. It was substantially revamped by the Faculty of Law in 1968.

Return to Top


Scope and Contents of the Collection

The first accrual (A.13-106) is divided into 2 series. It includes brochures, correspondence, minutes and oversized posters.

Return to Top


Arrangement of the Papers

This collection is arranged into 2 series.

  • 1. Faculty of Law promotional items and related correspondence and meeting minutes
  • 2. Oversized promotional posters

Return to Top


Restrictions on Access

File folders with restricted items are marked.

Return to Top


Restrictions on Use

File folders with restricted items are marked.

Return to Top


Custodial History

The A13-104, A13-105, A13-106, A13-114, A13-115, A13-116, A13-117, A13-118 accruals were donated by the University of Manitoba Faculty of Law in 2013.

Return to Top


Detailed Description of the Collection

1. Faculty of Law promotional items and related correspondence and meeting minutes [ 1971-1991 ]
  • Due to a small number of folders in this accession (A13-116), folders 8-11 are placed in Box 7 of the A13-118. The box is labeled with both accession numbers.
BoxFolder
78 Graduate Studies Brochures and Mailing List 1972-1984
  • Restricted material included.
9 Graduate Studies Correspondence, Minutes, a Preliminary Report and a By-Law 1971-1978
10 Faculty of Law Enrollment Reduction 1980-1988
11 Faculty of Law Enrollment Increase 1991

Return to Top


2. Oversized promotional posters 1940-2002

Oversized folder located in map cabinets in Archives Reading Room

BoxFolder
1 Law School Spring Banquet at the Fort Garry Hotel, April 25, 1940 1940
Front Page of the Bulletin with headline "Robson Hall plans $3 million expansion" affixed to a ledger-size piece of paper 2002
Pamphlets advertising 75th anniversary of the Manitoba Law School/Faculty of Law affixed to cardboard posterboard 1989
Western Canada Moot Trial Competition for Malcolm McIntyre Trophy, March 7-9, 1996 poster (2 copies) 1996
Final Moot Court Competition for Solomon Greenberg Prize, February 5-7 poster n.d.
"Ask Us About the Law" Law Phone-In poster (2 copies) n.d.
Gordon Dilts Retirement advertisement poster n.d.
1978-79 Winnipeg Legal Telephone Guide advertisement 1978

Return to Top