of Manitoba History
28 February 1877 a bill
introduced by Attorney-General Joseph Royal to establish a “Provincial
University”is passed in the provincial legislature.
The University of Manitoba Act establishes a corporation
for the government of the University consisting of a Chancellor
and Vice-Chancellor with a Council. The Chancellor is to be appointed
by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council for a term of 3 years.
The Council is to consist of seven representatives from
each affiliated college, three from the Convocation, and one from
each of the two sections of the Board of Education.
The University of Manitoba is formed by the federation
of three existing colleges; St. Boniface College which traces
its roots back to the arrival of Fathers Provencher and Dumoulin
in 1818; St. John’s College which traces its roots back
to the mission of Reverend John West in 1820; and Manitoba College
which sprang from the Presbyterian faith of the Selkirk settlers
and the Reverend John Black in 1851. The University of Manitoba Act provides a grant
from the provincial government of not more than $250.00. This amount is granted annually from 1877 to
1883 when it is increased to $500.00 and to $1,000.00 in 1886. By 1889 it rises to $2,000.00.
Most Reverend John Machray, Bishop and later Archbishop of Rupert’s
Land is appointed the University of Manitoba’s first Chancellor,
a position he holds until his death on March 9, 1904.
The Honorable Joseph Royal is appointed the first Vice-Chancellor
of the University, a position he holds until 1889.
Royal presided over the University’s Council, as
there was no chief executive officer of the University until 1913.
The first registrar of the University is Major E. W. Jarvis,
a graduate of Cambridge and engineer who served with distinction
with Sir Sanford Fleming in surveying the route of the Canadian
provincial act provides for the five year collection of marriage
license receipts to be turned over to the University and apportioned
among the colleges.
27 May 1878, the first
examinations at the University of Manitoba are held with seven
students, all from Manitoba College, writing them.
first degree of the University is conferred on Reginald William
Gunn, a student of Manitoba College, who takes honors in Natural
Sciences and is awarded the Governor General’s Silver Medal.
Manitoba Medical College becomes affiliated with the University
A.K. Isbister, a native of the Red River Valley, bequests $83,000
to the University for the establishment of “a general scholarship
or prize fund for the encouragement of meritorious students and
scholars.” By 1917, the Isbister fund has grown to nearly
$130,000 and generated an annual revenue of approximately $8,000. As part of the bequest, Isbister also leaves
the University his library of over 4,000 volumes which becomes
the nucleus of the University library.
With no building or librarian to house and manage the collection
the books are kept in rooms rented from the Historical and Scientific
Society of Manitoba, which had assembled and managed the reference
library from which the Winnipeg Public Library was formed.
The University library is later housed from 1890 to 1898
in rooms rented by the University in the old McIntyre Block for
$12.00 per month.
University’s Board of Studies debates the issue of paying
examiners. After assurances from the Bursar that sufficient
funds were available for these payments a scale of pay based on
the volume of work and the difficulty of the subject area is established. Examiners in Classics and Mathematics are paid
$40.00; examiners in the Moral, Mental and Natural Sciences are
paid $30.00, and examiners in Modern Languages and History are
paid $20.00. A total of $410.00 for 17 examiners is expended.
The sum increases to $705.00 the following year.
reading course in law, providing for three annual examinations
leading to the L.L.B. degree is arranged.
federal government approves legislation granting the University
up to 150,000 acres of crown land in Manitoba as an endowment.
The University establishes the Land Board and begins framing
how these lands and their proceeds would be used.
This process takes until 1887 when land selection begins. By 1889 over
42,000 acres are recommended.
The selection of lands continues until 1891.
Jessie Holmes passes her matriculation and becomes the first women
student admitted to the University of Manitoba.
She graduates in 1889.
College, the college of the Methodist church, becomes affiliated
with the University.
Honorable Joseph Dubuc succeeds the Honorable Joseph Royal as
Vice-Chancellor of the University.
MacArthur, the University’s first Bursar since his appointment
in 1884, is replaced by J.A.M. Aikins (later Sir James Aikins).
June 1890, a new statute governing preliminary or matriculation
examinations is adopted and provides for examinations in the fixed
subjects of Latin, Mathematics, English or French, History or
Geography, and one from an optional group of subjects which included
Greek, French or English, and German, French or English, and Botany,
German and Physics.
Hattie Foxton becomes the first female graduate of the Manitoba
Medical College with first-class standing in the examinations
for Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery.
committee is appointed to consider available sites in Winnipeg
for the construction of “a university building with lecture
theatres and laboratories”. A number of sites are considered and the matter
is turned over to the provincial government for its consideration. The issue is put on hold until the issues of
land patents and an increase in the University’s provincial
grant are resolved.
University of Manitoba Act is amended to give the denominational
colleges the power to confer degrees in divinity.
University of Manitoba Act is amended to allow the provincial
government to expend up to $60,000 for the University and a normal
school (teaching college).
patents for the University’s land grant are issued and the
lands are transferred to the University.
The patents contain no restrictions on how the land could
be used by the University. A minority of the members of the University
Council argue that the entire land grant be held in trust as an
endowment for the University.
fire destroys the McIntyre Block, which houses the University’s
offices. Much of the University’s scientific equipment
and early university records are destroyed in the blaze.
Manitoba College of Pharmacy becomes affiliated with the University
Synod of the Icelandic Lutheran Congregation agrees to pay the
salary of a professor in the Icelandic language and an Icelandic
language course is placed on the curriculum as an option for Icelandic
students in the First and Second Years.
Strathcona donates $20,000 (4 instalments of $5,000 in 1904,1905,
1906 and 1907) to the University.
This gift and the prospective increase in the University’s
annual revenue results in the establishment of the Faculty of
Science with chairs in physics, botany, chemistry, physiology
and zoology, and mathematics at a salary of $2,500 annually.
A Chair in Bacteriology is also established on the condition
that the provincial bacteriologist be appointed to the position
and that the provincial government continue to pay his salary.
first professors of the University of Manitoba are appointed. They are A.H.R. Buller (Botany and Geology),
Frank Allen (Physics and Minerology), M.A. Parker (Chemistry),
R.R. Cochrane (Mathematics), Swale Vincent (Physiology and Biology)
and Gordon Bell (Bacteriology, Pathology and Histology).
University of Manitoba Students’ Union is organized and
in 1907 its representative Council is recognized by the University
Department of Civil Engineering is established with E.E. Brydone-Jack
appointed as its first Chair.
an attempt to bring the general public into closer touch with
the work of the University, a series of popular lectures by University
professors is established.
6 June 1907, Frederick William Heubach offers the University on
behalf of the Tuxedo Park Co. 150 acres of land for a university
site adjacent to the southern boundary of the new city park (Assiniboine
Isbister Trust is consolidated with the University’s Land
Board to facilitate better university management.
Most Reverend S.P. Matheson, Archbishop of Rupert’s Land
is appointed the second Chancellor of the University of Manitoba.
Departments of Electrical Engineering, English, Political Economy
and History are established.
E.P. Fetherstonhaugh, A.W. Crawford, A.B. Clark and Chester
Martin are appointed as Chairs of these new departments.
$12,000 temporary building is constructed north of the first University
building on Broadway to accommodate the increase in the number
of new departments.
October 1909 the initial experiment into university extension
work at the University of Manitoba is undertaken when Professor
A.W. Crawford organizes a course in English literature to meet
the needs of teachers and other special students.
Report of the Royal Commission on the University of Manitoba is
tabled but does not provide any unanimous agreement on the future
of the University. The minority report calls for a University
based on traditional lines with denominational colleges controlling
the University and keeping it free from government control and
interference. The majority report calls for full government
responsibility and control of the University. It also calls for the establishment of a Board
of Governors appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council to
manage the University, a large permanent site and president to
be chosen, and the extension of teaching departments as rapidly
as required by demand.
first honorary degrees of the University of Manitoba are conferred
on Robert Alexander Falconer, President of the University of Toronto
and Daniel Hunter Macmillan, Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba.
The first degrees in Agriculture are also conferred at
amendment to the University of Manitoba Act provides the University
Council the power to appoint a President and define his duties.
On February 15, 1912 a Committee is chosen and empowered
to choose the first President of the University.
On December 12, 1912 the Committee reports that it has
offered the appointment to Dr. James Alexander Maclean, President
of the University of Idaho and that he has accepted the appointment.
failed to secure degree-granting powers for itself, Brandon College
affiliates with McMaster University.
Manitoba Agricultural College’s affiliation with the University
of Manitoba is dissolved and the College is granted degree conferring
1 January 1913 Dr. James Alexander Maclean becomes the first President
of the University of Manitoba.
He is officially installed as President at a Special Convocation
on November 20, 1913.
15 February 1913 an act of the legislature creating the Manitoba
Association of Graduate Nurses gives the University of Manitoba
the power to conduct examinations in nursing and thus control
admission to the Association.
On 31 July 1913 in anticipation of the union of the Presbyterian
and Methodist churches, Manitoba and Wesley Colleges amalgamate
their administrations including the undertaking of a common registration,
the establishment of a joint Board of Governors and the appointment
of one principal to oversee both Colleges.
United College is formally opened on September 25, 1913.
Departments of Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, French and
German are established. A.A. Stoughton is appointed the first Chair
the University Council unwilling to agree to the Broadway site
as the permanent site for the University and the provincial government
unwilling to provide money for new university buildings on the
Tuxedo site, the provincial government lets it be known that it
would be willing to convey to the University some 137 acres lying
between the recently transplanted Manitoba Agricultural College
grounds and the Red River in St. Vital, and would proceed to erect
and equip an Engineering building or buildings required by the
University. The offer
is agreed to by the University in September 1913.
The University organizes the University Extension Popular
Lecture series. Seventy lectures are given in eighteen towns
across Manitoba. The estimated
total attendance at these lectures is 9,875.
Department of Pharmacy is created to take over the work of the
affiliated Manitoba College of Pharmacy.
H.E. Bletcher is appointed as the first Chair of Pharmacy.
Manitoba Law School is established under the joint control of
the University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba.
The Manitoba Law School is formally opened on October 3,
The student body begins publication of a semi-monthly University
journal, The Manitoban, with all the departments of the
University represented on its editorial staff.
In the early fall, the first track
meet is held with the University of North Dakota on the Winnipeg
Grounds. The University
of Manitoba is victorious and the meet is such a decided success
universities decide to make it an annual event
A university theatre night is instituted
and the Dramatic Society presents Bjornson’s “The
at the Walker Theatre to a large and appreciative audience.
University Council establishes
a Committee on Military Instruction and authorizes the teaching
science and tactics. A
university corps is organized and during the term men drill and
take extra classes to qualify as officers.
Western Universities Battalion (the 196th) of the Canadian
Expeditionary Forces is formed.
The C.O.T.C. of the University of Manitoba contributes “A”
Company and a platoon of “B” Company.
On March 1, 1915 the Canadian Officers Training Corps of
the University is gazetted. Professor
E.P. Fetherstonhaugh is selected as captain and adjutant.
April 23, 1915 for the first time in the history of the University,
a Baccalaureate Address is given at the close of the session.
The address is delivered by Professor W.F. Osborne at the
Central Congregation Church.
On October 1, 1915 Dr. J.B. Reynolds
becomes President of the Manitoba Agricultural College.
The Department of Arts including
Mathematics, the Department of
Architecture, the Library and
administrative offices of the University are moved into the former
Law Courts Building.
E. Nuttall, of Manchester, England is engaged as the first trained
librarian for the University.
Overseas Correspondence Club is established to write letters to
University of Manitoba
serving in England and France during World War I in order to keep
them in touch with activities at the University during their absence.
At a March Faculty Council meeting, the Faculty takes note
of the Russian Revolution and orders the sending of a congratulatory
telegram to the Provisional Government of Russia.
The telegram is answered subsequently by the Foreign Minister
The reduction in enrollment resulting from military enlistment
results in a drop in students from 925 in 1914-1915 to 662 in
At a joint meeting of five important commercial associations
on July 10, 1917, resolutions are passed favoring the establishment
of a Department of Commerce at the University, with a four-year
course leading to a degree, and evening lectures in commercial
subjects leading to a diploma or certificate.
Mary Kelso is appointed as the first Director of Home Economics
at the Manitoba Agricultural College.
The Board of Governors arranges for all men with a record
of overseas service in the Canadian Expeditionary Force or who
have served for a year or more in Canada to receive full tuition
remission in Arts and half tuition fees in Engineering, Architecture,
Pharmacy and Medicine.
An influenza epidemic and the subsequent ban on public
meetings closes the University for seven weeks from October 11
to December 2, 1918.
World War I ends on November 11, 1918.
A total of 1160 students and 14 faculty and staff from the University enlisted. 123
were killed or died during the war and 142 received military honors.
The Manitoba Medical College, its buildings and equipment
are transferred to the University.
Dr. S. Welles Prowse is appointed dean of the new Faculty
of Medicine and the Rockefeller Foundation donates $500,000 to
the University to establish a general endowment for the Faculty
The University experiences a huge increase in post-war
enrolment with 2,013 students enrolling in various degree and
special courses. To accommodate the overcrowded conditions in
University laboratories and classrooms, a number of temporary
laboratories and lecture rooms are hastily constructed on the
On August 1, 1920 John Bracken is appointed President of
the Manitoba Agricultural College.
He resigns in 1922 to become Premier of Manitoba.
teaching faculty is reorganized, with a General University Faculty
Council and individual
in Arts and Science, Engineering and Medicine.
In 1921, William Tier is appointed the first Dean of Arts
and Science and E.P. Fetherstonhaugh the first Dean of Engineering.
The University Alumni Association is created by the graduates
of the University with local chapters established in various towns
and cities of the province.
The University of Manitoba enters into an agreement with the Manitoba
Association of Architects to conduct examinations for membership
into the association.
J.T. Thorson is appointed as the first Dean of the Manitoba Law School.
The University opens its own book store in the Arts
Building. It proves to
be a great convenience to students and increases the efficiency
of University instruction.
In June, the University of Manitoba hosts the Conference
of Canadian Universities which serves as an interchange for ideas
on the many problems of University administration, teaching and
community educational service.
A survey of 265 students reveals that 110 of the students
are entirely dependent on themselves for their own support. Of the remainder, 100 earned more than 50 per
cent of the cost of their own maintenance, and only 17 indicated
that they were entirely dependent on others for their support.
Tragedy befalls St. Boniface College in November as
the building containing its classrooms, chapel, assembly hall
and resident students’ dormitory is totally destroyed by
University of Manitoba Summer School is inaugurated enrolling
On March 15, 1923 the University’s Extension Department
launches its “University Hour” radio program, a series
of lectures presented by University Faculty members over an 11
week period. The program is broadcast by the Manitoba Government
Telephone System to the Canadian prairie provinces and eight adjoining
Department of Architecture
is transferred from the Faculty of Arts and Science to the Faculty
of Engineering which becomes the Faculty of Engineering
Administration of the Manitoba Agricultural College is returned
to the University of Manitoba.
The College becomes the Faculty of Agriculture and Home
Economics with W.C. MacKillican, former Superintendent of
the Dominion Experimental Farm at Brandon being appointed
A University committee is struck under the chairmanship
of Professor R.C. Wallace to work on a plan for establishing retirement
allowances for teaching and administrative staff members. The University establishes a contributory plan
under the Teachers’ Insurance and Annuity Association of
America to be put into effect on
December 1, 1927. It also receives an $80,000 grant from
the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching New York
to assist in providing retirement allowances to senior staff who
are close to retirement.
The University of Manitoba celebrates its 50th
anniversary with a Semi-Centennial Celebration from October 6
to 8, 1927. The Alumni Association participates actively
in the arrangements for the celebration by holding the first homecoming
of graduates of the University.
The membership of the Alumni Association grows to more
than 500. The Association
establishes a journal, The University of Manitoba Quarterly
which is circulated to the membership of the Association, carrying
news of the graduates and articles on general literary and scientific
questions, and on University problems.
Professor R.C. Wallace, head of the Department of Geology
and Mineralogy and Provincial Commissioner of Mines resigns his
position to become the President of the University of Alberta.
In May 1928, the compilation of the University’s
first register of graduates is completed.
The compiled data reveals that since its inception the
University has conferred approximately 5,000 degrees on some 4,700
persons. 375 graduates were identified as being deceased
while 88 per cent of University of Manitoba graduates were identified
as residing in Canada.
Also in May 1928, the Provincial Legislature approves
an appropriation of $1,000,000 for additional University accommodation. This money would only become available to the
University after a legislative committee made a study of all the
various proposed University sites and reached a final decision
as to the one on which the development would take place.
On January 23, the Board of Governors formally accepts
the decision of the legislative committee on the University site
question to select the Fort Garry site as the permanent site of
the University of Manitoba. A.A.
Schoughton, Architect and Professor Emeritus of Architecture is
engaged to prepare plans for the grouping and location of the
St. Paul’s College becomes affiliated with the
University of Manitoba.
The Arts Building on the Fort Garry campus is completed
and construction on the Science Building is begun.
In October, the University imposes salary reductions
of between 2 per cent and
12 per cent on the teaching and administrative staff in accordance
with scales of pay adopted by the Government of Manitoba for members
of the Civil Service. The salary reductions are accepted without
protest by the University of Manitoba staff.
The Annual Survey of Education in Canada issued by the
Dominion Bureau of Statistics indicates that the University of
Manitoba is ranked second in student enrollment among universities
On August 25, 1932 published newspaper reports reveal
that John A. Machray, Chairman of the Board of Governors, Honorary
Bursar of the University, Chancellor of St. John’s College
and the Diocese of Rupert’s Land, senior partner of the
law firm of Machray and Sharpe, and nephew of Archbishop Robert
Machray, has lost through bad investments the university endowments
entrusted to his care (the Defalcation).
On September 23, John A. Machray is sentenced to seven
years’ imprisonment when he pleads guilty to theft of University
24, Premier John Bracken appoints Mr. Justice W.F.A. Turgeon,
of the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal, Dr. W.C. Murray, President
of the University of Saskatchewan, and C.G.K. Norse, former manager
of the Canadian Bank of Commerce, to a board of inquiry to investigate
the impairment and depletion of University trust funds during
the period when John Machray was Bursar.
The University of Manitoba’s grant is cut from
$500,000 to $400,000 in the 1932 provincial budget.
A new Board of Governors is created consisting of
nine members appointed by the Lieutenant Governor-in-Council,
three members elected
by the Alumni, with the President and Chancellor as ex-officio
F.W. Crawford is hired as the University’s first
full-time salaried Bursar. The
office of Honorary Bursar is abolished.
Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics is reorganized and Dr.
Alfred Savage is appointed Dean
on September 1.
On March 29, 1933 the report of the Turgeon Royal Commission
is tabled in the provincial Legislature. The report identifies a shortfall in University trust accounts controlled
by the firm of Machray and Sharpe to be $1,917,044.60. Severe criticism of successive Boards of Governors
and a condemnation of successive provincial governments and public
officials for their lack of control and accountability is also
On October 9, the Right Honorable R.B. Bennett, Prime
Minister of Canada addresses students at the morning ceremonies
of the inaugural University Day.
President Maclean resigns effective April 30, 1934.
Sidney Smith, Dean of the Faculty of Law at Dalhousie is
appointed as the University’s 2nd President.
He is officially installed at the University Day ceremonies
on October 12, 1934.
John Dafoe succeeds Archbishop S.P. Matheson as the
University’s 3rd Chancellor.
He is officially installed at the University Day ceremonies
on October 12, 1934.
The University of Manitoba Quarterly is replaced
by the Alumni Journal.
Faculty of Education is established by the University to give
instruction in education and lead to the granting of an Interim
Collegiate Certificate by the Provincial Department of Education
and the degree of Bachelor of Education and Master of Education
by the University. D.S.
Woods is appointed as the Faculty’s first Dean.
Alumni Week is celebrated and the Alumni Association
of the University of Manitoba is incorporated.
The Manitoba Agricultural and Home Economics Alumni Association
merges with the Alumni Association and a six year, $5.00 membership
The 1935-1936 session is the first
in which the Sellers Scholarships are offered. The awards in the amount of $100 go to ten students registered in
Arts and Science and come as a welcome cash influx to a campus
still reeling from the Machray Defalcation and the Depression.
Major revisions to the University of Manitoba Act are
passed by the provincial legislature.
The University Council is abolished and is replaced by
a remodeled body called the Senate which becomes in charge of
all academic matters. The President becomes ex officio Vice-Chancellor
and presiding officer at all University functions. The method of electing the Chancellor is also
changed with that responsibility being vested in a committee comprising
the Board of Governors, Senate and six Alumni delegates. The Office of Bursar is abolished and replaced
by a Comptroller with enlarged powers.
The year marks the end of an era with
the retirement of the esteemed botanist Dr. Reginald Buller, one
of the six original professors and founding faculty members of
the University of Manitoba in 1904.
For the first time the university offers
examinations in all grades of music and established diplomas. The Senior Division students are in for a humorous
experience when Stephen Leacock presents an address on December
3 at the Fort Garry Campus. Lord
Tweedsmuir receives an Honorary Degree that December.
The trend of founding professors retiring
continues when Professor M. A. Parker, Head of the Chemistry Department,
A Bachelor of Commerce to be awarded
through the Faculty of Arts and Science is offered for the first
Three hundred and fifty students join
with the professors in a written protest of the recently imposed
Quebec Padlock Laws.
On 22 January 1937 Dr. Bruce Chown lectures
on psychic research, a popular phenomenon in Winnipeg at that
time, to the Manitoba Medical Students Association.
Wally Bertrand of Science establishes
a Canadian record in the 50-yard backstroke with a time of 31
seconds at an interfaculty meet.
Courses in Political Science and Government
are offered for the first time and a Home Management House is
erected on the Fort Garry campus.
Magnus Henrikson of Churchbridge,
Saskatchewan bequeaths $3000 for the establishment of an Chair
of Icelandic Language. The Alumni Jubilee Award is initiated.
In 1938 Brandon College begins its affiliation
with the University of Manitoba; the Baptist college had earlier
been linked to McMaster University.
Ian Frederick Banting spends two days
in Winnipeg visiting the Manitoba Medical College on November
28-29th. Banting is favourably impressed by the level
of research being conducted despite the limited funds available. As Chairman of the Medical Sub-Committee of
the National Research Council, he expresses an interest in funding
units outside of Toronto and Montreal.
The Arts Student Body begins publication
of the Manitoba Arts Review, a journal of intellectual
articles written primarily by students and faculty of the University.
The University realizes the need to expand
its profile into the community.
The Carnegie Corporation provides $100, 000 to provide
adult education in rural communities.
The Manitoba Government provides funding for an increase
in courses offered by the Workers’ Educational Association.
The Ashdown scholarships are initiated in 1939.
An explosion in the Science Building
on January 12, causes $55, 000 damage, blowing out the third floor
ceiling and injuring two employees.
On February 21 the World Premiere of
the University’s movie “And So to College” is
University Women’s Club takes over the old “Ralph
Connor House” as their headquarters.
University of Manitoba Band record their theme song “Brown
and Gold” at radio station
The War has a dramatic effect on the
University not only in its enrollment but in the physical presence
of soldiers as the Army took over the Fort Garry residence. All fit 18-year-old male students are required to take six hours
a week in military training.
Students over the age of 21 receive two weeks of practical
military training in a camp.
By 1941 90 per cent of women students have enrolled in
a variety of courses to aid in the war. Dean of Women, Ursulla Macdonnell, receives
requests from across Canada as to how Manitoba’s successful
program was implemented. Auto
mechanics proved to be a favorite course among the women.
For the first time women wear slacks in residence and the
The School of Social Work is established within the Faculty of Arts and
In 1943 the first degrees are conferred
in the Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy and the diploma course
is abandoned. The Senate
also establishes two new honorary degrees:
Doctor of Science (D. Sc.) and
Doctor of Letters (D. Litt.).
Dr. Frank Allen, founder of the Physics
A scarlet fever outbreak has the Home
Economic House under quarantine in January 1944.
The U.M.S.U. president Albert Hamilton
is called before the Board of Governors for his anti-war poem
“Atrocities” that appeares in the Manitoban’s
Literary Supplement. Hamilton’s marks in his graduating year
are held up until he joins active service.
President Sidney Smith leaves the University
of Manitoba to become President of the University of Toronto. H. P. Armes, the Dean of Arts and Science,
becomes the University’s 3rd President on Sept.
19, 1944. Mr. Justice A. K. Dysart replaces the late
J. W. Dafoe as the University’s 4th Chancellor.
The University of Manitoba Press and the departments of Psychology, Agricultural
Engineering and Medical Research are established.
In March 1945 four members of the French
Resistance Movement address the student body.
Albert Trueman, a graduate of the University
of New Brunswick and Oxford and a professor of English, becomes
the University’s 4th President in June 1945.
Margaret McWilliams, historian, social
advocate and the Chatelaine of Government House, is the recipient
of an LL D in 1946.
An influx of 3125 veterans swells registration
to 9514, causing a space and equipment crisis. The University constructs married veterans
huts which are ready for occupancy in September 1946, making the
university even more of a community.
That same year Grant MacEwan, the celebrated
historian, becomes head of the Department of Agriculture and Home
The Provincial Government offers a $150,000
interest-free loan for an Athletic and Student Union Building
on the Fort Garry campus. Students
canvass door to door for donations to the building fund.
Guest speakers at the University in 1946
include Randolph Churchill and the Conservative M.P., John Diefenbaker.
After years of complaints regarding a
quota system within the Medical School, the provincial legislature
passes a unanimous resolution to increase student registrations. Past practice held to an unwritten rule that
not more than five "Jews" or women would be allowed
Dr. Harold Innis, Professor of Political
Economy at the University of Toronto, receives an L.L.D. at the Spring Convocation .
A new literature and art magazine, “Creative
Campus,” appears under the editorship of Alvin Goldman.
The university announces in September
1947 that they plan to spend $200, 000 on construction. More veterans huts are added, an addition is
made to the Engineering Building and repairs are done on the Medical
More than $100, 000 is brought in by
research contracts, nearly doubling the previous high.
Dr. John Russell of Architecture receivea
$24, 500 to study the planning and designing of farm homes, farm
kitchens and rural community centres.
Twelve hundred fans attend the Homecoming
Football game between the Manitoba Bisons and the Minnesota State
Teachers College at Osborne Stadium.
In a surprise move President Trueman
announces his intention to resign at the end of the term to take
the presidency at the University of New Brunswick.
This move receives a great deal of negative press coverage
and both faculty and students wish to appear before the Board
of Governors. It is widely speculated that Trueman’s
dislike for the comptroller and secretary of the board, F. W.
Crawford, prompted his resignation.
In July 1948 A. H. S. Gillson, former
Dean of Arts and Science at McGill, becomes the University’s
In late November medical student Norm
Hill scores the winning touchdown for the Calgary Stampeders in
an 8-5 victory over the Ottawa Roughriders.
In February 1949 the International Student
Services launches a campaign to raise $5000 for D.P. (Displaced
In March of 1949 the University confers
a L.L.D. on Eleanor Roosevelt in a Special Convocation.
Later that same month the University
of Manitoba debating team wins the National Championships. The team is comprised of Roland Penner, Art
Mauro, Sha Sabzali and Charles Smith.
Penner and Mauro clinched the championship in Hamilton,
arguing the affirmative on “Should Canada have a Bill of
The University of Manitoba’s 70th Annual Convocation,
held on May 18 1949, is the largest to date with 1,520 students
graduating , easily surpassing the previous record of
932 in 1948.
In the fall of 1949 Nat “King”
Cole is one of the Judges for the best float in the annual Freshie
That same autumn Manitoban alumnus
Bob Halparin (Monty Hall’s brother), a special events announcer
with CHUM radio in Toronto, is one of the first reporters on the
scene at the Noronic disaster on the Toronto docks.
Halparin stood in his slippers with light clothing thrown
over his pajamas in a biting wind and 40° temperatures to get
the story. He stuffed
newspapers into his pants to ward off the cold and carried out
interviews with survivors and officials.
In October a probe is underway to discover
why the Northwest corner of the new U.M.S.U. mysteriously collapsed.
The 1950 flood devastates the campus.
For 29 days (May 5 to June 8) water covers 1100 acres of
university property, leaving only a ¼ acre visible.
At its peak the water reaches depths of 22 inches on the
road in front of the Administration Building.
Art Mauro is elected U.M.S.U. President
for the 1950-1951 session.
The Department of Judaic Studies was
established in 1950 under the guidance of Rabbi Chiel.
Students in the news are fourth-year
law student and chess master Abe Yanofsky and medical student
Tom Casey, who wrote a column for the Manitoban and also
starred as halfback for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
On December 1, 1950 the University of
Manitoba Varsity Grads play the Harlem Globetrotters in an exhibition.
In January former student Alan Gottlieb, who spent two years as an undergrad
at United College, is named Rhodes Scholar.
The Alumni Fund is instrumental in the
purchase of the Palliser Report for the university library.
In 1951 the Department of Geography is
established. That same
year the Department of Slavic Studies begins under the chairmanship
of Professor J. B. Rudnyckyj, and the Chair of Icelandic Language
and Literature is established.
Bill Norrie is U.M.S.U. president in
1951 while John Hirsch is an undergraduate with an interest in
Chancellor Dysart dies on July 24, 1952
and is replaced by Victor Sifton, the Chairman of the Board of
Governors as the University’s 5th Chancellor.
Sifton had served as General Manager and Publisher of the
Winnipeg Free Press from 1935-1949.
He was President of the Canadian Press from 1948-1950.
In October 1952 His Excellency, the Right
Honorable Vincent Massey lays the cornerstone for the new library. That same evening the University celebrates
its 75th Anniversary at a colorful ceremony at the
Winnipeg Auditorium attended by the Governor-General and representatives
from 29 Canadian universities and colleges.
New Chancellor Sifton’s first official act is to
bestow L.L.D.’s on Vincent Massey and artist LeMoine Fitzgerald.
The new library is officially opened
by Premier Campbell at the Fall Convocation.
Canadian painter Lawren Harris received an L.L.D. and the
Samuel Rosner Chair in Agronomy is bequeathed by the Samuel and
Saidye Bronfman Family Foundation of Montreal.
Dave Bowman, a two-time McGown Debate
winner, and Dr. Athol Gordon, honorary president of U.M.S.U.,
tender their resignations over the choice of the Kinsey Report
as the subject for a debate in Vancouver.
Dr. A. H. S. Gillson resigns as President
on September 1 and dies nine days later at his residence on campus.
Hugh Saunderson becomes the first University of Manitoba
graduate to be appointed president; he becomes the University’s 6th. Dr. Saunderson joined the Chemistry Department
in 1932. In 1944 he replaced
W. P. Armes as the Acting Dean of Arts and Science. The following year his appointment was confirmed and he served in
this position for three years.
From 1947 to 1954 Dr. Saunderson served in Ottawa, first
as Director of Information Services for the National Research
Council and later as attaché to the Department of Defense Production.
In December 1954 Professor Richard Glover
is elected a fellow of the Royal Historical Society, an exclusive
honor seldom bestowed on a North American scholar.
Dr. Wilder Penfield, Director of the
Montreal Neurological Institute, receives an honorary degree in
President Saunderson confirms the loss
of seven young scholars, evidence of the University’s inability
to compete in the salaries market.
Agriculture celebrates its Golden Jubilee
on June 21-22, 1956. On
October 19 leading literary figure Laurens Van der Post is the
featured speaker at the Festival of Arts.
On March 1, 1957 the Government announces
a $298, 000 grant to increase professors’ salaries and make
the University’s pay scale competitive with other Western
W. L. Morton’s book One University is available for sale at
the May 22 Convocation.
U. of M. graduates Tom Hendry and John
Hirsch open Theatre 77.
Sir Herbert Read, noted poetry and art
critic, is the guest speaker at the Festival of the Arts.
Flying fish, oranges, lunch bags and
assorted paraphernalia bring U.M.S.U. election speeches to an
abrupt and premature end in February 1958.
Engineering students reacting to some earlier comments
by candidate Dave Stinson unleashed their barrage of missiles.
In September 1958 United College becomes
the centre of one of the most hotly disputed academic controversies
in the history of Canadian universities.
Professor Harry Crowe of the History Department was on
sabbatical at Queen’s when he wrote a letter to his colleague
William Packer at United. The letter, which contained several disparaging
comments about faculty members and the United Church, never reached
Professor Packer and ultimately found its way to the desk of United
College’s Principal Dr. W. L. Lockhart and the College’s
Board of Regents. The Board of Regents offered Crowe another
year’s service with United at no increase in pay. When news of the letter reached the press United came under heavy
fire. An investigation
into charges that Crowe’s academic freedom was infringed
upon was about to get underway when he was fired.
In all, fourteen professors left United College in protest,
virtually gutting the Arts Department.
On February 3, 1959 the first Slotin
Memorial Lecture in honour of the 1933 graduate who was killed
at Los Alamos, New Mexico during the development of the atomic
bomb, is given by Dr. Joseph Kaplan, the Chairman of the United
States National Committee for the International Geophysical Year.
Mitchell Sharp, a distinguished graduate
from the class of 1934, receives the first Alumni Jubilee Award. Mr. Sharp resigned his post of Deputy Minister
of Trade and Commerce in 1958 to become vice-president of Brazilian Traction, Light & Power in Toronto.
Samuel Freedman replaces Victor Sifton
as the University’s 6th Chancellor on June 1,
1959. Freedman, a 1933 law graduate, becomes Chief
Justice of Manitoba in 1971.
That fall U.K. debaters tour Canada for
the first time since 1930. University
of Manitoba members Roland Penner and Frank Lamont face the British
duo at the Uptown Theatre.
Campus ‘59’, branded as a disgrace to the university,
is banned from the university and downtown bookstores.
A member of the administration called the publication “pornographic”.
On November 20, 1959 Communist Alderman
Jacob Penner is shouted off the stage by 100 students. Penner was speaking at a meeting scheduled
by the Socialist Youth League.
Demonstrators raised their hands shouting “Heil”
in the Nazi fashion.
1960 marks the introduction of three
new vice-president positions.
Former Dean of Arts and Science W. J. Waines becomes V.P.
Academic, former Comptroller W. J. Condo becomes V.P. Administration
and Jack Hoogstraten becomes V.P. Development.
The Friends of the University is established
On September 23, 1960 German industrialist
Alfred Krupp writes an exclusive column for the Manitoban.
In November 1961 United students vote
to sever ties with U.M.S.U. Orde
Morton joins his father, University of Manitoba History professor
W. L. Morton as a Manitoba Rhodes Scholar.
In 1962 Medicine’s Freshie Parade
float depicting an oral contraceptive sparks a controversy that
involves Winnipeg City Council, the Winnipeg and District Labor
Council and the two daily newspapers.
The Manitoba Law School Journal
publishes its first issue which is dedicated to Harvey M. Streight
Q.C. who served the School as lecturer and Recorder from 1930
until his death in 1960.
Editorials condemning a perceived R.C.M.P.
presence on campus are common in 1963-1964. This predated drug use on North American campuses, but radical groups
felt that they were under surveillance.
Northrop Frye receives an Honorary L.L.D.
In October 1964 the University’s
cyclotron is working after four years of effort. When fully operational, the cyclotron accelerated sub-atomic particles
– protons – to one-third of the speed of light. The particles were then used to bombard thin
metal sails and other substances to produce their radioactive
On December 6, 1964 Isaac Pitblado, the
University’s oldest living graduate, dies at the age of
97. Pitblado received his B.A. in 1886, Master’s
degree in 1893 and his Bachelor of Law in 1889. Pitblado was Chairman of the Board of Governors from 1917-1924.
On February 1, 1965 students stage a
½ day boycott to protest a $75 fee hike for the following year. 1500 students pack the Civic Auditorium before
a march on the Manitoba Legislature.
On March 22, Mulford Sibley, a University
of Minnesota political scientist, is denied entry into Canada,
thwarting a proposed lecture that was to be given at the University
of Manitoba. Sibley, a
radical pacifist, was to lecture on “The Meaning of the
Student Revolt at Berkeley” but was deemed a subversive
and denied entry to Canada, while 200 students protested at the
In 1965 the University of Manitoba, under
a Colombo Plan contract, sends advisors in engineering and agriculture
to Khon Kaen University in Thailand.
The film “And No Birds Sang,”
written by English professor Victor Cowie, is shot at the University
In the fall of 1967 the first issue of
Mosaic: A Journal for the Comparative Study of Literature & Ideas is published by the University of Manitoba. The editors were R. P. Hoople and Ken McRobbie.
In January the University of Manitoba’s
TV program “A View of Our Own” premiers on CBC. The show was aimed at students in the 15-23
bracket. That same month
the University administration examines the on-campus use of LSD
and marijuana. The Manitoban carries a story on January
9 that claims that four professors admitted to smoking pot.
Peter Curry becomes the University’s
7th Chancellor in 1968.
Seven student members are added to the
Students protest recruitment by Dow Chemical
The Stanton Teaching Awards and the Isaac
Walton Killam Awards of the Canada Council are introduced.
Manitoba Theatre Centre and the English
Department of the University of Manitoba combine to offer theatre
Rae Masai Hewitt, Minister of Education
for the Black Panther Party, fails to show up for a lecture on
July 1, 1970, leaving U.M.S.U. out $700.
Former Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science A. Lloyd Dulmage becomes
president of Brandon College.
The University of Manitoba’s Jan
Madden equals the world record in the 300-yard track-and-field
Dr. Ernest Sirluck is appointed the University's 7th
The Learned Societies Conference is held
at the University of Manitoba in the summer of 1970.
The first French/English bursary
program is offered to give French-Canadian students the opportunity
to study English at the University of Manitoba.
In 1971 Dr. H. E. Duckworth is named
the president of the University of Winnipeg.
The Junior Bisons basketball team win
the Canadian Championship.
Professor W. N. Fox-Decent of the Political
Studies Department at St. John’s becomes the first Canadian
to be elected President of the World University Services.
Following the unauthorized release of
the budget to U.M.S.U. and its subsequent publication, a joint
Senate/B.O.G. Committee is appointed to review current university
policy on confidentiality and the release of information was struck.
The CORI committee on release of information resulted.
In 1973 Dr. Bruce Chown, a graduate of
the University of Manitoba Medical School and renowned for his
work on RH diseases in babies, receives the Order of Canada. That same year the R.H. Institute Awards are inaugurated.
On February 1, 1973 the University of Manitoba Faculty Association
applies to the Manitoba Labor Relations Board for certification
as a union.
In March 1973 the Office of Industrial
Research under the Vice-President (Research and Graduate Studies)
comes into being. The
Employee Relations office is also opened.
On June 1, 1974 R. S. Bowles, former
Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba, is named the University’s 8th Chancellor.
That same year the first Manitoba Medical Service Foundation Inc.
awards are granted.
The Department of Native Studies is established
in the Faculty of Arts, with Raoul McKay appointed as its first
head in 1975.
In 1974 a program of Women’s Studies
is introduced through the Faculty of Arts.
Courses for the program are offered through the Departments
of History, Psychology, Religion, Sociology and English.
The Program for Canadian Armed Forces personnel and their dependents
is launched in June 1974 with the signing of an agreement between
the university with the Department of National Defense.
Ralph Campbell becomes the 8th
President of the University of Manitoba.
St. John’s College offers its first
Colin Inkster Memorial Awards.
A team of three students from the Faculty
of Administrative Studies win the seventh annual Intercollegiate
Marketing Management Competition in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
The one-millionth book is added to the
University Library at a ceremony held April 12, 1976. The historic occasion is commemorated by the presentation of a volume
of Canadian historical significance:
a handwritten document of the North West Traders concerning
the discovery of a new route from Lake Superior to the River Jainipique
(Winnipeg) addressed to Gov. Frederick Haldimand in 1784.
The University of Manitoba enters its
Joint Masters Agreement in English, History and Religion with
the University of Winnipeg.
The University of Manitoba offers a joint
program in Industrial Arts and Business Education with Red River
The University marks its centennial with
the launch of a major fund-raising campaign. Jim Daly takes over as the head of the newly created Office of Private
Isabel Auld becomes the University’s
9th Chancellor. Inter-Universities
North, a joint effort between all three Manitoba universities
to offer university courses north of the 53rd parallel,
becomes an official grant program of the Universities Grants Commission.
The Department of Archives and Special
Collections is established with Richard Bennett as the first formally
Four new programs are developed in 1980-1981.
They are: Ukrainian-Canadian Heritage Studies; Bachelor
of Science in Dentistry; Bachelor of Recreation Studies; and Labour
Arnold Naimark becomes the University’s
9th President in 1981.
New programs include a Master’s
program in Education offered in French at St. Boniface College. Ph.D. programs are also offered in Education,
Sociology and in Food and Nutritional Sciences.
The Office of University Ombudsman is established with Christine
McKee, Professor of Urban Planning, as the inaugural appointment.
St. Andrew’s College formally affiliates
with the University of Manitoba on January 28, 1981, cementing
a relationship dating back to 1959.
The Faculty of Agriculture, through the
Department of Plant Science, receives a five year contract to
work with the Government of Kenya in a program to strengthen Kenya’s
potential in agricultural research and development relating to
wheat and oilseeds.
In 1982 Gloria Steinem lectures on campus
as part of the School of Social Work’s Distinguished Visitors
program. The theme was
“Perspective on Women in the 1980’s.”
The H. E. Sellers Foundation endows a
chair in Medicine for $1.2 million on January 29, 1982.
In 1983 the position of Student Advocate
and Director of Special Programs for Student Affairs is created. Professor James Burke is the first to hold
the position. President
Naimark accepts an invitation to chair the North Portage Development
Corporation. The 1983 Entrepreneur Award is presented to
Albert D. Cohen, President of Gendis Inc.
Queen Elizabeth II turns the sod for
the new Administrative Studies of Transport Institute in October
The Peter D. Curry Award for governance
and development at the University is created by Investors Group.
The Canadian Forces Program marks its
tenth anniversary with the awarding of the program’s first
doctoral degree. Major
Atholl Malcolm obtains his Ph.D. in chemical psychology.
In 1985 the Faculty of Administrative
Studies establishes the International Distinguished Entrepreneur
Award. Paul Desmarais, Chairman and Chief Executive
Officer of Power Corp., is the initial recipient.
New programs includes the Manitoba Nursing
Research Institute, the Centre for Professional and Applied Ethics
and the Institute for Technological Development.
Marilyn McKenzie is appointed as the
first sexual harassment officer.
In October the Hon. Samuel Freedman and
Mr. Justice R. G. B. Dickson are named honorary professors.
In 1986, with funding from the International
Development Research Centre, University of Manitoba researchers
under the coordination of Dr. John Rogge of the Department of
Geography are collaborating in a research project with Jahangunagis
University in Dhaka, Bangladesh to examine the social and economic
effects of floods and riverbank erosion.
Such issues as population development, land reallocation
and the technical aspects of riverbank erosion were being investigated;
the information provided was to be compiled into a database for
The Board of Governors approve Ph.D.
programs for Administrative Studies in the areas of marketing,
organizational behaviour and management science.
Three University of Manitoba scholars
receive Killam Research Fellowships:
Dr. B. R. Henry, Chemistry; Dr. Robert Kroetsch, English;
and Dr. G. A. Gratzer, Mathematics.
Dr. D. O. Wells, Vice-President (Administration)
since 1975, accepts an appointment as president of Mount Allison
in Sackville, N.B.
The Learned Societies Conference opens
on May 25 and runs for 15 days.
Dr. Henry Duckworth is named the University
of Manitoba’s 10th
In 1987 the Medical Research Council
of Canada (MRC) awards a four-year grant of more than $1.1 million
per year in continued support of the research program of the M.R.I.
Group for Allergy Research in the Department of Immunology, Faculty
Haraldur Bessason, head of the Icelandic
Department, assumes the position of rektor at the University of
Iceland, Akureyre in January 1988.
The Department of Linguistics in
the Faculty of Arts is established and a Ph.D. program in Agricultural
Engineering is developed and approved.
In 1988 Dr. Gerald Goldenberg, Faculty
of Medicine, is awarded a $500,000 (U.S.) grant from the inaugural
Bristol Myers Company research grant program for studies in tumor
resistance to chemotherapy.
Prairie Theatre Exchange is approved
as a teaching centre for the University’s Theatre program.
The first Vilhjalmur Stefansson Award for Excellence in Canadian
Northern Studies is awarded to Professor Jillian Oakes, Clothing
The Department of Linguistics receives Senate approval to offer masters’
and Ph.D. programs.
In February 1989 Andrei Sakharov, physicist
and a leading champion for human rights in the Soviet Union, is
awarded a honorary degree from the University of Manitoba during
his visit to Winnipeg.
Professor John Haiman, Professor of Linguistics
and a Killan recipient, is awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship.
In October 1989 the Duff Roblin Fellowship
Program is introduced; 25 students benefited from the $200,000
In 1991 the Robert and Elizabeth Knight
Distinguished Visitors Program is announced with a contribution
of $1million dollars by the Knights.
Both are University of Manitoba graduates.
Robert had received his B.A. in 1920 while Elizabeth graduated
with a B.A. in 1922.
The Masters of Archival Studies program
is launched as part of the Joint Masters program in history with
the University of Winnipeg.
Dr. Henry Friesen of the Department of
Physiology is named President of the Medical Research Council.
In 1992 the papers of the Aboriginal
Justice Inquiry are donated to the E. K. Williams Law Library.
Formal approval is granted for a Ph.D.
The University of Manitoba signs a major
contract with the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool and Canamera Foods Ltd,
who teamed up to provide joint funding to support the University’s
breeding and crop development program in the area of high erucic
acid rapeseed and low linolenic acid canola.
The contract was for $930, 000 and extended over a five-year
period. Drs. Rachel Scarth, Roger Rimmer and Peter McVetty of the Department
of Plant Science were the principal researchers involved in the
In 1993-1994 the Universities Grants
Commission approves the development of full proposals for a Master
of Science in Recreation Studies, a Ph.D. in Social Work and a
B.Sc. (Major) in Medical Laboratory Science provided jointly with
Red River Community College.
Dr. Jon Gerrard, Pediatrics and Child
Health, is appointed Secretary of State for Science, Research
and Development. Dr. Gerrard
is internationally known for his research on blood cells and the
clinical care of young patients with cancer and blood disorders.
Professor Carol Shields, English, wins
the Governor General’s Literary Award for fiction for her
newest novel, The Stone Diaries. Professor Shields is also a finalist for Britain’s
prestigious Booker Prize for the same novel.
Christine Coley, a Ph.D. candidate in
the Department of Physiology at the Faculty of Medicine, wins
two gold medals in the 400 and 800 metre track events at the Para
Olympics in Barcelona.
James Fletcher, an Agriculture Grad (1925),
leaves $300,000 for two graduate fellowships.
In 1993-1994 a research project to be
undertaken at the St. Boniface General Hospital Research Centre
receives $5.2 million from the Medical Research Council Group
Award. The fund was to run over six years and included
a $1, 050, 878 award for operating and equipment grants in the
first year. The collaborating
team, headed by Dr. Naranjan Dhalla, was composed of staff from
physiology and anatomy.
The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Manitoba
awards $1, 544, 033 to support 41 research projects at the University
The opening of the Polo Park teaching
facility of the Continuing Education Division takes place on September
The University of Manitoba becomes the
first university in Canada to offer a master’s degree in
Al Cerilli, a 40-year member of the Canadian
Brotherhood of Railway, Transport and General Workers, becomes
the first labor scholar-in-residence at the university.
English Professor Robert Kroetsch’s
literary career is the theme of a literary conference in Strasbourg. Dr. Kroetsch is considered the foremost Canadian
author studied in Europe and his work is the subject of theses
at universities in England, Germany, Italy, Spain and France.
In 1995 Carol Shields wins the Pulitzer
Prize for The Stone Diaries.
The University of Manitoba Bookstore
receives the Store of the Year Award from the Canadian Book Publishers
Council and the Western Canadian College Stores Association.
October 1995 sees a 17-day strike by
the University of Manitoba Faculty Association.
The University of Manitoba Alumni Association
celebrates its 75th Anniversary with a kickoff dinner
at the Fort Garry Hotel on January 27, 1996.
Three Bison teams capture National Championships.
The Bison women’s basketball team wins its first
championship since the 1987-1988 season. The Bison men’s volleyball team repeat
as champions while the men’s track and field team capture
top honors for the third year in a row.
The first 23 graduates of the new one-year
Master of Business Administration program receive their degrees
at the fall convocation.
On July 1, 1996 Dr. Emoke Szathmary,
former provost and vice-president (academic) at McMaster University,
becomes the 10th President of the University of Manitoba.
The University doubles its entrance scholarships
for the 1996-1997 session to 624.
The Task Force on Strategic Planning for the University of Manitoba
holds its first meeting on January 6, 1997.
The Libraries Exhibits Committee win
an award for mounting the best exhibit in honor of McClelland
and Stewart’s 90th year of Canadian publishing.
Terri-Lee Johanneson is named the C.I.A.U.
Female Athlete of the Year at the Howard Mackie Awards in Calgary
on April 3, 1997.
The Internet Innovation Centre opens
in the Engineering Faculty. This
brought together students, staff, industry and government to explore
new Internet research and applications worldwide.
A contract is awarded to the University
of Manitoba in June 1997 by the Canadian International Development
Agency for a project that sought to establish, extend and eventually
consolidate links between Lanzhou University in China and the
University of Manitoba. The
project, under the direction of Gwyn Williams (Physics), focussed
principally on developing human resources for a modern higher
education strategy with particular emphasis on modern materials
Izzy Asper, chairman and CEO of CanWest
Global Communication Corp., and the Asper family donate $1 million
to the Faculty of Management to establish an endowment fund for
the Centre for Entrepreneurship
On November 14, 1997 the University of
Manitoba Libraries celebrates the presentation of the two millionth
volume to its collection. The
volume, Voyages and Travels of an Indian Interpreter and Trader
by John Long, is chosen by President Szathmary and purchased by
the Alumni Association. The book, a first edition copy from 1791, includes
a vocabulary of the Chippewyan Language.
In September 1998 the Senate Secretariat
and the Board of Governors Secretariat are amalgamated, becoming
the University Secretariat.
Enrollment increases 1.8 % from 1997
and University 1 is introduced.
The William R. Newman Agriculture Library
is dedicated October 30, 1998.
John Ralston Saul inaugurates the Templeton
Lecture on Democracy on February 8, 1999.
Federated Research donates $500,000 to
establish the Centre for Research and Treatment of Arteriosclerosis
at a presentation on January 27, 1999 at the Brodie Centre Atrium.
Hugh Smith (B.Sc. Med. ’65, MD
’65) is appointed chair of the Mayo Clinic Board of Governors
in Rochester, Minnesota.
Monsanto Canada Inc. announces plans
to develop a $10 million crop development centre at the University
of Manitoba on land adjacent to the Agriculture and Agri-Food
Cereal Research Centre.
The Faculty of Management earns international
accreditation for its business programs from the International
Association for Management Education.
The National Sciences and Engineering
Research Council of Canada announces that 231 principal investigators
will receive $6, 825, 907 in research operating and equipment
The president of the Czech Republic,
Vaclav Havel, receives an Honorary L.L.D. at a Special Convocation
on April 28, 1999.
The Isbister Legacy Society, honouring
all individuals known to have included the University in their
estate plans, is created.
LISTING OF CHANCELLORS AND PRESIDENTS
OF MANITOBA CHANCELLORS
P. Matheson 1908-1934
W. Dafoe 1934-1944
K. Dysart 1944-1952
Richard S. Bowles 1974-1977
V. Mauro 1992-2001
(Bill) Norrie 2001-
OF MANITOBA PRESIDENTS
Ralph Campbell 1976-1981