of Manitoba History
United College becomes the University of Winnipeg.
Brandon College becomes the University of Brandon.
The Faculty of Arts and Science separates to form the Faculty
of Arts and the Faculty of Science.
Originally known as the Home Management House, it was built
in 1939 as a training center to allow students an opportunity
to deal with a child’s daily routine. Ten women would move into the house for a month
to practice home management and childcare on their current Welfare
The original section of this building, the southeast section
facing the green, was completed in 1912-1913.
The first addition to the northeast corner came in 1949.
In 1954 the first floor of the center wing and the second
and third floors of the old south wing were added.
In 1962 the second and third floors of the center wing
were constructed, also in red brick.
The 1967 addition (the New Engineering Building), however,
is contemporary in design and relates to the 1949 addition with
its polished limestone veneer and large plate-glass windows.
The Senate Chamber is in this wing.
The Fetherstonhaugh High Voltage Laboratory was completed
Formerly the Students Union Building, it housed the Bison
East Gym, the print shop, a student computing centre, the School
of Nursing and the Department of Landscape Architecture and City
Planning. The two gyms
were converted from a former aircraft hanger, built by the Air
Training Command for the Commonwealth Training Program.
This portion was moved to campus in 1948. The first addition was made in 1952 and a large cafeteria and lounge
were added in 1960. This
building was torn down in 1998.
The main campus library was built in 1952 and
was named after Elizabeth Dafoe, the University’s
chief librarian from 1937 to 1960.
The Sifton wing was added in 1978 as one of the University’s
Founded in 1926, St. Paul’s College first became
affiliated with the University of Manitoba in 1931.
The College moved to the Fort Garry Campus in 1958.
John’s College and Chapel
This Anglican College was one of the three affiliate Colleges
that founded the University of Manitoba in 1877.
In 1958 it left Broadway Avenue and moved to the Fort Garry
This three-story block links together two barns reconstructed
in 1948. The building opened in 1958 with additions
to the rear completed in 1962.
A. Russell Building
Named after the School of Architecture’s first dean,
this building was completed in 1959.
Russell was on faculty at the University from 1928 to 1966.
Completed in 1960, this building was originally named the
Crop Research Building..
Completed in the fall of 1960, the buildings are the Allen
for Physics, the Parker for Chemistry and the Armes for lecture
rooms. The Allen Building
houses the Cyclotron Research Center.
This building was completed in 1961 to house the Departments
of Commerce and Psychology. It
now houses Geography, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies and Sociology.
The Isbister Trust Fund has played an important part in
student aid at the University.
This building was opened in 1962.
The second floor houses the Department of Entomology.
Speechly Hall/Pembina Hall
Mary Speechly Hall (Women’s Residence) opened in
September 1964. Pembina Hall houses the residence students’
cafeteria and the Faculty Club.
Mary Speechly was the first woman appointed to the Board
University College opened in the fall of 1964.
At the center of the complex is the dominating seven-story
dormitory. The second floor houses the Planetarium named
after Robert James Lockhart who was instrumental in having the
structure built and was the first director.
Beside the Provost Office on the main floor is the “Victorian
Room” with its unique mid-nineteenth-century English Victorian
furniture donated by Dr. Joseph Doupe, the former Head of the
Department of Physiology.
Built in 1963, St. Andrew’s College was the first
Ukrainian-language college to be opened by the Greek Orthodox
Church in North America. The College library contains one of the largest collections of Orthodox
manuscripts and books in the world.
The School of Art moved into its new and
permanent home on the Fort Garry Campus in the fall of
1965. The building is named in honor of L. Lemoine
Fitzgerald, a member of the Group of Seven and one-time Principal
of the Winnipeg School of Art.
The School was founded in 1913 and operated independently
of the University until 1950 when a degree course in Fine Arts
This six-story building opened in the fall of 1967.
The building is named after Robert Fletcher Argue, an English
professor from 1923 and the Dean of Junior Men at the University’s
Broadway site from 1940-1948.
The original building was completed in 1966.
By 1969 a second floor had been added to the structure
with a new two-story wing to house the Department of Soil Science
and Food Science. Joseph H. Ellis was both a student at the Agricultural
College and long-time professor in the Faculty of Soil Science.
The Fisheries Research Board of Canada leases a portion
of the complex.
This structure was completed in 1970 and houses the Department
of Psychology and the Zoology laboratories. The
building is named after former Premier Duff Roblin, a good friend
to the University while in office and in his subsequent retirement.
He is responsible for the Roblin Commission Report on the
State of Universities in Manitoba.
This building opened in September 1969 as the permanent
home of the Faculty of Law. The
building is named after former Chief Justice of Manitoba Hugh
This complex opened in the fall of 1969.
The swimming pool of this athletic complex opened in 1965. The larger structure that houses the gymnasiums
and the Continuing Education Division was opened in 1972. The building is named after the late Frank
Kennedy, the first director of the School of Physical Education
at its inception in 1964.
This building was officially opened in 1972.
Here, the federal Fisheries and Marine Service conducts
supporting research and performs fisheries product inspection
for Canada’s four inland provinces and the North West Territories.
This building houses the Dean’s Office, Faculty of
Science, the Science Library, and the Departments of Statistics,
Mathematics, Computer Science and Applied Mathematics.
The facility opened in 1972 and is named in honor of Robert
Machray, the Archbishop of Rupertsland and first Chancellor of
the University of Manitoba.
The Chown building was completed between 1962-1964 for
research graduate education and administration.
The structure houses the Departments of Pharmacology and
Therapeutics and the animal shelters as well as several deans’
offices. The building
is named after Henry Havelock Chown, the third Dean of the Manitoba
Medical School from 1900-1917.
This athletic complex was opened in 1982 complete with
hockey rink and the finest indoor track in the province.
George Maxwell Bell was a newspaper baron and at one time
owner of the Winnipeg Free Press.
The Max Bell Centre is a beneficiary of the Max Bell Foundation.
This building opened in 1986 to house the Departments of
Geological Sciences. Robert Charles Wallace was the first professor
of Geology and Mineralogy at the University of Manitoba, joining
the faculty in 1910.
This facility opened in 1987 to house the Faculty of Management
and the Transport Institute.
The opening coincided with the 50th anniversary
of the Department of Commerce’s first courses.
R. W. Pollock (B.Comm., 1949), Chairman and Chief Executive
Officer at Drake International, provided a major gift for the
completion of the structure.
This welcome addition to the Health Sciences Centre houses
the Medical Library, bookstore and gymnasium.
The building was dedicated on June 14, 1996 in honor of
Earle and Marion Brodie. Earle Brodie (U. of M., M.D. 1936) established
the Maft Corporation and the Price Company, operator of the Price
Club, the original cash and carry membership warehouse. He and his wife made a substantial gift to
November 1996 saw the opening of a new Agricultural Building.
The new athletic centre , sponsored by Investors Group
for the Pan Am Games, opened in 1998.
The Department of Music began in 1944 when classes in music
theory and history were instituted as electives for Arts and Science
In the early 1960’s Senate approved a series of courses
leading to a Bachelor of Music degree; the School of Music was
established in 1964. The first students enrolled that year for a
three-year general Bachelor of Music degree.
The Music Building was completed in 1965 with the recital
theatre named after the first director, Eva Clare.
In 1974 the four-year Bachelor of Music program was initiated. In 1984 an Integrated Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Education program
of Medical Rehabilitation
The School of Medical Rehabilitation was established in
September 1960 as a response by the University of Manitoba to
the increasing need for occupational and physical therapists.
It was founded as an academic unit within the Faculty of
Medicine and was located originally in the Children’s Hospital.
In 1962 the school moved to the third floor of the newly-completed
Manitoba Rehabilitation Hospital.
Since the incorporation of the Health Sciences Centre in
1972, the school has retained this location with increasing utilization
of lecture, library and laboratory space in the Medical College
and Basic Science Building.
In February 1976, new undergraduate programs leading to
the degrees Bachelor of Medical Rehabilitation (Occupational Therapy)
and Bachelor of Medical Rehabilitation (Physical Therapy) were
approved by Senate in recognition of the expanding roles of occuapational
and physical therapy in health care. The diploma programs were discontinued.
of Physical Education and Recreation Studies
In 1933, a Director of Recreation position was created
at the University of Manitoba.
It was not until 1950, however, that a Department of Physical
Education, Recreation and Athletics was established.
The purpose of this unit was to provide physical education
courses for the various schools and faculties and to direct, organize
and supervise the intramural and intercollegiate athletic programs.
In February 1964 the Senate of the University approved
the establishment of a three-year program leading to the degree
Bachelor of Physical Education.
In 1966 Phys. Ed. received School status. Senate approved a Master of Physical Education in May of 1979 (the
degree has since been changed to Master of Science). A Bachelor of Recreation Studies originated
in 1982 and the School was given Faculty Status in 1982.
In 1992 the Faculty established the Health, Leisure and
Human Performance Resource Institute.
In the spring of 1998 a four-year degree program, the Bachelor
of Exercise and Sport Science, was initiated.
of Social Work
The Faculty of Social Work was established in 1943 as a
graduate school in the Faculty of Arts and Science.
The School originally offered a one-year program leading
to a graduate diploma; later this program was altered to lead
to a post-baccalaureate degree. In 1952 the Faculty initiated a two-year graduate
program leading to the degree of Master of Social Work.
In 1968 the University of Manitoba was among several Canadian
universities to introduce a Bachelor of Social Work program.
A revised Masters program was also introduced that same
year. In May 1989 the School was granted Faculty
status. The Faculty is
housed on the fifth floor of the Tier Building.
The first Nursing program at the University of Manitoba
was offered in 1943. One-year certificate courses prepared registered
nurses either for teaching and supervision or for public health
nursing. As a result of
an increased demand for nurses with more than one year of training,
two program sequences were introduced
in 1962 and 1963 that offered courses leading to a Bachelor
A new program for registered nurses and applicants holding
previous degrees in other fields started in 1971.
A four-year program was instituted in the School of Nursing
in 1975 with an M.A. program offered in 1979.
In June 1986 the revised two-year Baccalaureate program
for Registered Nurses was approved.
The School of Nursing attained faculty status in 1992.
One of the legacies of the 1999 Pan American Games will be the
new Nursing Building which is scheduled to open in the fall of
of Graduate Studies
At the University of Manitoba graduate study and research
was conducted on a very modest scale during the early years.
As more students went on to complete advanced degrees a
need was met with the formation of the Faculty of Graduate Studies
and Research in 1949. By the mid-1990’s enrollment had increased
to 3200 students. The
Federal Department of Agriculture and the Freshwater Institute
of the Fisheries Research Board maintain major research establishments
on the Fort Garry campus.
While teacher education in the Province of Manitoba dates
to 1882, it was in 1935 that the Faculty of Education was created
to offer programs leading to secondary teaching certificates and
to M. Ed. degrees. It was not until 1965 that the elementary school
certification program and the staff of the Manitoba Teachers’
College were integrated into the University of Manitoba. In 1982, the Provincial Board of Teacher Education and Certification
recommended to the Minister of Education that the basis for teacher
certification be the B. Ed. degree.
This was ratified in 1986.
The Education building was completed in 1962 with additions
in 1965 and 1969.
The first classes in the Faculty of Dentistry started in
1958. The Faculty lacked a facility and so space
was provided in the Faculty of Medicine.
The following year the Dentistry Building was constructed
at 780 Bannatyne Ave. and 777-785 McDermot Ave.
In February 1962 the Faculty was placed on the fully accredited
list of Dental schools and colleges in Canada and the United States. A School of Dental Hygiene was established
in 1962. The Dentistry
Building has undergone two major renovations in 1967-1968 and
In 1937 the Department of Commerce was created within the
Faculty of Arts and Science.
At the same time, the Department of Actuarial Science was
created, the University’s intention being that in addition
to a general business program there would be the option of specialization
in the actuarial sciences. In
1949 the Commerce Department was elevated to the rank of School. In 1966 the Bachelor of Commerce was increased
to a four-year honors degree.
The following year the Masters of Business Administration
Degree was approved by Senate.
In 1970, with the separation of the Faculties of Arts and
Science, Commerce achieved Faculty status.
In 1972 the Faculty was renamed Administrative Studies.
In 1986 it acquired its current title of Faculty of Management. The Faculty moved into the Drake Centre in 1987. Recent developments have included the introduction
of a Masters of Accountancy in 1991 and a Ph.D program in Management
Architecture has been taught at the University of Manitoba
as far back as 1913. The curriculum was organized in a four-year
program leading to the degree Bachelor of Architecture. In 1920 it became a part of the newly established
Faculty of Engineering and Architecture. In 1933 a Masters of Science in Agriculture was initiated. In 1938 a three-year diploma program in interior
decoration was established. In
1945 the Departments of Architecture and Interior Decoration were
granted school status as the School of Architecture and Fine Arts. Three years later the school reorganized to
become the School of Architecture with a five-year program in
Architecture and a four-year program in Interior Design.
In 1949 a one-year graduate program in Community Planning,
open to graduates in Architecture of Civil Engineering, was established.
The John A. Russell Building was completed in 1959, being
the first building in Canada to be designed exclusively for a
School of Architecture. Architecture garnered Faculty status in 1963.
In 1966 the Senate authorized the curriculum of Architecture
to include a three-year program leading to a Bachelor of Environmental
Studies as prerequisite to a degree in Landscape Architecture
or Architecture. In 1970
the Master of Architecture degree was introduced; it was followed
by the Master of Landscape Architecture degree two years later.
The Adult Education office was created in 1941 but ceased
operation three years later when the Carnegie Corp. grant was
not renewed. In 1949 the Department of University and Adult Education was created
with A. S. R. Tweedie as its Director and Professor of Adult Education.
In 1953 an Audio-Visual Division was created in the hope
of furthering Adult Education in rural Manitoba.
The Evening Institute was absorbed by the Extension Division
that same year.
In 1961 the Broadway site was abandoned and all offices
were centralized on the Fort Garry campus.
The Extension Division was restructured in 1964 and the
Community Studies Division added in 1967.
In 1975 the current title of Continuing Education Division
was adopted with David J. Lawless as Dean of the Division.
Continuing Education now contains an Access Program, Canadian
Armed Forces Program, Distance Education and the Stony Mountain
program to name but a few.