Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I go on exchange to another country?

  • Study area-specific subjects in their indigenous culture and country.
  • Gain international and inter-cultural experience.
  • Learn to speak the language like a local.
  • Make friends from all over the world.
  • Add an international component to your resume.
  • Travel and see the world without having to delay completing your degree.

Where can I go?  

  • Students can attend our partner universities in Australia, Belgium, Brazil, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Norway, Sweden, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States.
  • Some of our exchanges are limited to students from specific faculties.
  • We are constantly looking at new partnerships, so contact our office for the latest list of destinations.

What courses can I take and will they transfer back to the U of M?  

  • Students can take a variety of courses at each of our partner universities.
  • Most universities offer at least a few courses in each program area in English.
  • Courses will be evaluated by the U of M to determine how (and if) they will transfer back towards your degree program.

Who is eligible to go on an exchange?  

  • You must be a U of M student,
  • Have completed at least 1 year of study,
  • Be enrolled in a faculty other than University1,
  • Have a minimum GPA of 3.0.

How much will it cost?

Your expenses will depend on a number of things. The costs associated with studying abroad are different for every country. Some of your expenses will be:

  • Tuition - You pay your regular tuition to the University of Manitoba.
  • Accommodations & Food
  • Transportation to and from your host university
  • Health insurance
  • Student fees – Some universities have additional student fees that you will be responsible for.
  • Student Visa – Different countries may have different names for this document (i.e., study permit; resident permit; study visa and so on). You will need to apply to your destination country’s embassy or consulate. Some require an in-person interview at that embassy.

How do I sign up? 

  • Visit our office to find out which university will best suit your degree program and future goals.
  • Submit a completed application form along with 2 references, a personal essay, a copy of your transcripts, an application fee of $50.00, and a recent photo.
  • Participate in an interview.