Accommodation Resources

Finding a place to live can be intimidating, especially if you are new to the city.

Not sure where to begin?  The resources below can be a great place to start when looking for either temporary or permanent accommodation.

Living on Campus
Living Off-Campus
Homestay Program
Temporary Accommodation

Living on Campus

U of M Residences:

  • The U of M operates four residences with furnished rooms, meal plans, study space, lounges, social and recreational programs, laundry facilities, storage space, and reserved parking.
  • Married student housing is not available on the U of M campus. 
  • Although residents must be students at the U of M, it is not necessary to wait until you receive your acceptance to the University before applying to residence. We recommend that you apply for residence early, as spaces fill quickly and priority is given to those who apply first.

For more information about University of Manitoba residence options, fees, and application procedures, visit:

Affiliated College Residences:

  • On-campus residences and meal plans are also offered by St. John's College and St. Andrew's College
  • Meal plans at these colleges are available to any student (regardless of where they are living).  Over the summer, meal plans may be purchased monthly.

Living Off-Campus

  • U of M Off-Campus Housing Website: The University of Manitoba's new Off-Campus Housing website provides links to accommodation listings, advice about renting, and much more.
  • Students are strongly advised to inspect off-campus properties in person before signing contracts or leases.  Most students will make arrangements for temporary accommodation before coming to Canada so that they will have a confirmed place to stay for their first few days in Winnipeg while they secure long-term accommodation.
  • Rent for off-campus accommodation varies depending on the type of accommodation, location, size, included services/utilities, and whether or not you have a roommate.
    Things to consider when choosing a place to live:
      • rental cost
      • additional expenses (insurance, utilities, etc.)
      • lease agreements
      • distance to the U of M
      • distance from bus stops
      • convenience of bus service from your accommodation to the U of M
      • distance to shopping and bus service to shopping areas
      • bus routes and schedules
      • safety
      • renters rights and responsibilities
  • Residential Tenancies Branch:  The Residential Tenancies Branch of the Government of Manitoba is responsible for the legislation relating to renting in Manitoba.  Their website provides useful information about renter’s rights and responsibilities as well as general information about rental agreements, utilities, resolving disputes, etc.  The “Frequently Asked Questions” link in the left-hand menu on their homepage and the “Renting 101” link in the right-hand menu on their homepage and are particularly informative. 

    Residential Tenancies Branch:
    New Journey Housing:  New Journey Housing assists newcomers in their search for housing in Winnipeg.  They offer online and in-person resources and services to teach their clients how to search for, attain, and retain long-term accommodation/housing in Winnipeg.  Their services are available to all newcomers, regardless of their immigration status in Canada.

    New Journey Housing:
    Winnipeg Transit:  Winnipeg’s public bus transportation system is called Winnipeg Transit.  As a smaller city, our buses do not run 24 hours/day and provide reduced service outside of the morning and afternoon ‘rush hours’ and on weekends and holidays.  When choosing off-campus accommodation, it is a good idea to consider the bus service to and from the University at various times of day.  You can check bus service between the U of M and the off-campus housing options you are considering by using Navigo, a trip planning tool offered by Winnipeg Transit.

    • Navigo:
      (select the “Trip Planner” / Navigo link in the left-hand menu).  Tip: When using Navigo, if you type in “University of Manitoba” as either your starting point or destination, you will get a drop-down box with a few options.  To get the U of M’s Fort Garry campus, select the option that says “University of Manitoba (66 Chancellors Circle)”.

Homestay Program

The Homestay program provides an opportunity for an international student to live in a Canadian home while studying at the U of M.  The program is coordinated by the English Language Centre and is available to U of M international students registered in an academic program, English Language Centre students, and students in the International College of Manitoba.  For more information, visit: 

Temporary Accommodation

  • Students who do not have permanent accommodation arranged prior to coming to Winnipeg are encouraged to make arrangements for temporary accommodation in advance.
  • A listing of temporary accommodation options including hotels, Bed and Breakfasts, hostels, and summer residences can be found on the following page of the Student Residences website: