Fort Garry Campus

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to apply (application requirements)?

30 credit hours of university study at the University of Manitoba or that is acceptable to the University of Manitoba with a minimum 2.50 GPA (please note that admission is competitive and a higher GPA is often required).

What should I take before I am admitted?

Many students take Sociology and Psychology, however other areas relevant to social work are Women’s Studies, Native Studies, Political Science, Economics, British and Canadian History and Aging.  You do not have to limit yourself to just these, you can take any 30 credit hours that are interesting to you.

Do I need volunteer experience before applying?

No, this is not required, however if you are able to volunteer at an agency to gain some experience and knowledge, it is a good idea.

What is Field Instruction?

Field instruction provides students to learn firsthand how to conduct professional practice through a social service delivery system by undertaking educationally focused, progressively more demanding and complex professional social work roles.

In what areas do social workers work?

Social workers can be found in a wide range of areas, which includes addictions, child welfare, gerontology, mental health, community development, criminal justice, health care, family services, and cross-cultural social work.