Nursing as a profession is an art and a science, placing its focus on the health care of the person, the family, and the community. The nurse is a sustaining force in promoting and maintaining health, and provides care when health is threatened by illness or disability. The professional nurse views people in their entirety in providing a service essential to community health and welfare.
The first Nursing program at the University of Manitoba was offered in 1943. One-year certificate courses prepared registered nurses either for teaching and supervision or for public health nursing.
As the demand for nurses with preparation beyond the one-year certificate courses grew critical, two program sequences leading to the degree of Bachelor of Nursing were designed. In 1962, the program sequence for registered nurses was offered, and in 1963, the program sequence for students from high school or other faculties in the university was established.
A new program for applicants with a bachelor's degree in another field and for registered nurses was established in 1971. These programs were replaced by a four-year curriculum instituted in 1975 for all applicants to the School of Nursing. A Master of Nursing program was introduced at the School in 1979. Modification to the existing program for registered nurses was implemented in 1982, and in 1986, a revised two-year Baccalaureate Program for Registered Nurses was approved. A two-year Northern Bachelor of Nursing Program (NBNP) for registered nurses in The Pas was offered from 1990 to 1995. In 2002, the current Baccalaureate Program for Registered Nurses was further revised.
The Four-Year Baccalaureate Nursing Program was revised and first offered as the revised Baccalaureate Nursing Program (Four-Year) in 1990. A collaborative undergraduate program between the University of Manitoba and Health Sciences Centre commenced in 1991. The collaborative undergraduate program between the University of Manitoba and St. Boniface General Hospital was initiated in 1992. These collaborative programs ceased in 1998.
In 1992, the School of Nursing attained faculty status.
In 1995, collaboration with Brandon General Hospital began. The Four-Year Baccalaureate Nursing Program offered through the University of Manitoba, Brandon site, was gradually phased into the School of Health Studies at Brandon University. The University of Manitoba program physically relocated to the new School of Health Studies building in the summer of 2003. Brandon University admitted its first class in September 2004. The University of Manitoba offered the final year of its program in Brandon in 2005-2006.
In 1996, under the auspices of the Manitoba Nursing Education Strategy (MNES), the Faculty of Nursing extended its four-year undergraduate program to include urban, rural, and northern sites. New partnerships with Red River College and Keewatin Community College (renamed University College of the North) resulted, as well as a redefinition of the previous hospital collaborations as these hospitals assumed different roles in nursing education, practice, and research. As part of the northern site initiative, the Four-Year Baccalaureate Nursing Program began in Norway House in 1996. Commencing in 2003, only the first year Nursing and general courses were offered in Norway House. Upon completion of entrance requirements, eligible students applied for admission to one of the Faculty of Nursing sites.
In addition to the Bachelor of Nursing and Master of Nursing programs, the Faculty offered courses and programs designed to provide health care professionals with the opportunity to upgrade skills and education. In partnership with the Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak (MKO), primary care skills courses were first offered in 1997 for nurses practicing in northern Manitoba and rural settings to address the scope of practice required of nurses employed by the First Nations and Inuit Health Branch and First Nations communities in expanded nursing care and public health. The primary care skills courses permit nurses to meet the scope of practice for nurses working in nursing stations and rural settings. Community health nursing courses were offered for non-baccalaureate nurses employed in health centres and nursing stations.
In partnership with the Health Sciences Centre and the St. Boniface General Hospital, the Faculty offered adult intensive care nursing courses to prepare highly skills registered nurses to care for critically ill patients.
The curriculum of the Four-Year Baccalaureate Nursing Program was further revised and implemented in 2006-2007.
Hazel B. Keeler, BA, MA, RN
Director, Course in Nursing Education, 1943-1948
Margaret E. Hart, BSc, MA, EdD, RN
Director of Nursing Education, 1948-1972
Helen P. Glass, OC, RN, BScN, MA, MEd, EdD, LLD, DSc
Director, School of Nursing, 1972-1979
June Bradley, RN, BN, MSN
Director, School of Nursing, 1979-1984
Jenniece Larsen, RPN, RN, BScN, MEd, PhD
Dean, Faculty of Nursing, 1985-1992
Janet I. Beaton, RN, BN, MA, PhD
Dean, Faculty of Nursing, 1992-1998
David M. Gregory, RN, BScN, MN, PhD
Dean, Faculty of Nursing, 1998-2004
Marlene A. Reimer, BN, MN, PhD
Dean, Faculty of Nursing, 2005
W. Dean Care, BN, MEd, EdD
Acting Dean, Faculty of Nursing, 2004-2005
Interim Dean, Faculty of Nursing, 2005-2007
Dauna Crooks, RN, DNSc
Dean, Faculty of Nursing, 2007-2012
Beverely O'Connell, PhD, FACN
Dean, College of Nursing, 2012 -