Dr. Edmund Dawe
, B.Mus. B.Mus.Ed. (Memorial), M.Mus. (Western Ontario), D.M.A. (British Columbia); Professor; Dean
- As the Dean of the Faculty of Music, Dr. Dawe oversees all aspects of our programming. He works closely with the Associate Dean and the Business Manager on all matters and approves or offers advice on all financial, academic, musical, artistic, and policy activities. Dr. Dawe leads our strategic and long-range planning activities, and works closely with the Alumni Association on outreach to our graduates and the Development & Advancement Services office on fundraising activities. Dr. Dawe acts as the liason between our Faculty and the University's upper administration.
Dr. Karen Jensen, B.Mus., L.Mus. (Saskatchewan), Recital Dip. (Royal Academy of Music), L.R.A.M., Ph.D. (London); Professor, Voice, Vocal Pedagogy; Associate Dean
- In the role of Associate Dean, Dr. Jensen oversees many aspects of our programming, particularly curriculum, credit-related policies, degree requirements, academic regulations, and all academic issues. She works closely with the Dean and the Business Manager on budget procedures and strategic and long-range planning matters. She also oversees the work of Faculty committees, plans the course rotation schedule and develops academic teaching loads and faculty and course assignments.
- Will Bonness, B.Mus. (Manitoba); Assistant Professor, Jazz Piano
- Mel Braun, B.Mus., M.Mus. (Toronto); Associate Professor; Vocal Area Coordinator; Musical Director of Opera Theatre
- David Byrne, B.Mus. (UBC), Dip. Wind Conducting (Calgary), M.Mus (Manitoba) Ph.D. (candidate Cincinnati) ; Assistant Professor; Theory
- Dr. Minna Rose Chung, B.Mus. (Oberlin), M.Mus. (Northwestern), D.M.A. (Stony Brook); Associate Professor, Cello; Orchestra Coordinator
- Dr. Edmund Dawe, B.Mus. B.Mus.Ed. (Memorial), M. Mus. (Western Ontario), D.M.A. (British Columbia); Professor & Dean
- Karla Dawe, B.Mus., M.Mus. (Western Ontario); Instructor, Basic Skills, Rudiments, Style & Structure
- Jacquie Dawson, M. Mus (Manitoba) B. Mus (Newfoundland) B. Mus. Ed (Newfoundland)
- Dr. Gordon Fitzell, B.Mus. (Brandon), M.Mus. (Alberta), Ph.D. (British Columbia); Professor, Theory, Composition, Director of eXperimental Improv Ensemble
- Dr. Elroy Friesen, B.Mus., B.Ed., M.Mus. (Manitoba), D.M.A. (Illinois); Associate Professor; Director of Choral Studies, Director of Choirs (U of M Women's Chorus, U of M Singers, Cantata Singers), Graduate Conducting
- Derrick Gardner, B.Mus (Hampton), M.Mus (Rutgers); Assistant Professor, Babs Asper Professorship in Jazz Trumpet
- Dr. Richard Gillis, B.Mus. (Saskatchewan), M.Mus, D.M.A. (Michigan); Professor; Brass Area Coordinator
- Jon Gordon, BMus, Assistant Professor Jazz Saxophone
- Allen Harrington, B.Mus. (Saskatchewan), M.Mus. (Northwestern); Associate Professor, Saxophone, Bassoon, Chamber Music
- Charles Horton, B.Mus. (Redlands), M.Mus. (North Carolina); Associate Professor, Piano, Theory
- Monica Huisman, B.Ed., (Manitoba), Opera Dipl (Toronto); Instructor, Voice
- Dr. Karen Jensen, B.Mus., L.Mus. (Saskatchewan), Recital Dip. (Royal Academy of Music), L.R.A.M., Ph.D. (London); Professor, Voice, Vocal Pedagogy, Chair of Music Graduate Studies
- Dr. Judy Kehler Siebert, B.A. (Winnipeg), M.Mus. (Toronto), D.M.A. (Eastman); Associate Professor, Piano, Collaborative Piano, Chamber Music
- Dr. Laura Loewen, B.Mus. (Brandon), M.Mus. (Montreal), D.M.A. (Minnesota); Associate Professor, Collaborative Piano, Language Studies, Vocal Coach
Dr. James V. Maiello, B.Mus. Ed (S.U.N.Y. Fredonia), M.Mus. (Bowling Green State University), PhD. (University of California Santa Barbara); Associate Professor Musicology; Chair of Music Graduate Studies
- Dr. Kurt Markstrom, B.Mus., M.Mus., M.Lib.Sc. (Alberta), Ph.D. (Toronto); Associate Professor, History, Musicology
- Dr. David Moroz, B.Mus., M.Mus. (Juilliard), D.Mus. (Montreal); Associate Professor, Piano, Chamber Music; Piano Area Coordinator
- Dr. Oleg Pokhanovski, D.Mus. (Montreal); Associate Professor, Violin, Chamber Music; String Area Coordinator
- Dr. Catherine Robbins, B.Mus./B.Ed. (Manitoba), M.Mus. (Toronto), Ph.D. (Toronto) - Assistant Professor, Choral Studies/Music Education
- Larry Roy, M.Mus. (Manitoba) - Jazz Guitar, Jazz Improv, Jazz Ensemble
- Örjan Sandred, M.F.A., Diplom i Komposition (Royal College of Music Stockholm); Professor, Composition, Acoustics, Electro-Acoustic Music
- Jody Stark, B. Éd., M. Ed. (Alberta), Dip. F. A. (Hungary/Calgary), Ph. D. Candidate (Alberta)
- Katherine Twaddle, B.Mus. (Toronto), P.G.C.E. Drama (Middlesex); Instructor, Opera Studies Coordinator
- Valdine Anderson, B.Mus (Manitoba), Opera Dip. (Toronto), B.Ed. (Manitoba)
- Karin Carlson - Jazz Trombone
- Tracy Dahl, B.Ed. (Manitoba) - Voice, Artist-in-Residence 2016-17
- Steve Dyer, B.Mus. (McGill), M.Mus. (DePaul) - Trombone
- Patty Evans, Lic. Dip. (McGill) - French Horn
- Donna Fletcher, B.Mus. (Manitoba), M.Mus. (Toronto), Dip. Music Theatre (Banff Centre) - Voice, Musical Theatre
- Dr. Darryl Friesen, B.Mus., M.Mus. (Manitoba), D.M.A. (Illinois) - Piano
- Naoum Gomon, M.Mus. (Moscow) - Clarinet
- Micah Heilbrunn - Clarinet
- Julie Husband, B.Mus. (Brandon) - Woodwind Techniques
- Paul Jeffrey, - B.Mus. (Curtis Institute of Music), M.Mus. (Cleavland) - Trumpet
- Anna-Lisa Kirby - Jazz Voice
- David Klassen, B.Mus. (Manitoba), M.Mus. (Minnesota) - Voice
- Jeff Kula, B.Mus, B.Ed. (Manitoba) - Percussion Techniques
- Chris Lee, B.Mus. (McGill), M.M. (Indiana) - Tuba
- Ken MacDonald - French Horn
- Robert MacLaren - B.A., Ed. Dip. (McGill) - Voice
- Robin MacMillan - B.Mus. (Western Ontario), M.Mus. (Michigan), D.M.A. (Eastman) - Oboe
- Laurel Ridd - Flute
- Layla Roberts - B.Mus. (Memorial), M.Mus. (Ottawa) - Flute
- James Robertson - French Horn
- Dan Scholz, B.Mus.Ed. (Regina), Artist Dip. (McGill) - Viola
- Stewart Smith, B.Mus. Ed. (Saskatchewan), M.M. (Northwestern) - Euphonium
- Victoria Sparks - B. Mus./B. Ed (Manitoba) Percussion
- Ryszard Tyborowski, M.F.A. (Wroclaw) - Guitar
- Lois Watson-Lyons, A.M.M. and A.R.C.T. (Manitoba), Concert Dip. (McGill) - Voice
We are proud to have a highly collaborative and team-oriented support staff at the Faculty of Music. Feel free to contact us with any questions you have about our programming. Use the brief descriptions below to find the person who can best address your question, or you can contact our general office at 204.474.9310.
Soon is the student advisor for all programs, and is in charge of all credit-related and degree-requirement aspects of our program from a student's admission through to their graduation. She also monitors scholarships and awards, courseloads, student statistics and grades, and admission of non-music majors to specific courses. Soon assists the Dean and Associate Dean.
Contact: Room T313 | 204.474.9133 | email
Admissions Coordinator/ Marketing Assistant
The Admissions Coordinator/Marketing Assistant handles all aspects of a student's admission to our faculty, from the student's initial contact through to completion of their registration. Sarah is part of the recruitment team and works with the Marketing and Communications office to promote Faculty of Music activities.
Contact: Room T315 | 204.474.6728 | email
Provides support on financial and administrative matters to faculty members and administrative staff in accordance with the University’s policies and procedures.
Contact: Room T304 | 204.474.8062 | email
Meaghan is the friendly face waiting to greet you at the front reception desk. She assists the faculty, staff and students in many administrative and logistical aspects of our department.
Contact: Room T319 | 204.474.9310 |
Anna-Lisa assists with the administrative aspects of the Jazz Studies program, in addition to her role as Jazz Vocal Instructor.
Contact: Room T333 | 204.474.7060 | email
||Supports faculty and staff in all digital and electronic needs.
|Facilities & Events Coordinator
||Sue Stone Scott
Sue oversees our facilities, equipment and events.
Contact: Room T303 | 204.474.9408 | email
Contact: Room T302 | 204.318.2908 | email