|Opera Theatre Faculty:
- Mel Braun – Music Director
- Laura Loewen – Vocal Coach
- Katherine Twaddle - Ensemble Director and Stage Director
|Who is eligible:
Students enrolled in the Marcel A. Desautels Faculty of Music with a major in Voice. Entrance through the ensemble placement auditions at the beginning of September. Please visit the Ensemble Audition Page for more information. Casting for the November production with orchestra is based on participation in the excerpt production in March of the previous academic year.
|Days & times:
Opera Theatre schedule 2012 – 2013
Opera with Orchestra - In alternative years.
2011 – Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro
2013 – Handel's Rinaldo
Singing in a Strange Land
March 8 & 9, 2013: presented, at the Gas Station Arts Centre.
May 2013 – Dean Bury’s Angela and Her Sisters
|What you can expect:
- casting auditions
- movement and acting workshops
- intensive rehearsals, which concentrate on the students' development as complete singing actors
- focus on: musical style, the importance of text and language, explorations of theatrical styles and acting techniques, characterization and physical interpretation
- group coachings on language and musical interpretation
- opportunities are also available for collaborative piano students to participate as accompanists for the excerpts.