||Books With Wings is a collaborative project between Canadian students and their counterparts in Afghanistan.As of September 2009, we will have sent over 8500 up-to-date medical books worth nearly $1.4 million.|
Call for Volunteers in Specific Disciplines
- 2500 books were sent to Afghanistan at the end of August 2009
- University of Manitoba is holding a second book sale this academic year in front of the Medical Bookstore starting Monday January 25, 2010, consisting of donated books too old to send to Afghanistan
- Books With Wings received grants of $1500 from the Office of International Health and $460 from the Dean of Medicine's Fund at the University of Manitoba. We have ordered new books on war and landmine injuries and midwifery which will go to Afghanistan in our next shipment.
- Our volunteers across Canada are preparing a shipment that wil be ready to go April, 2010. If you are in Afghanistan, please contact Dr. Richard Gordon Ph.D. at email@example.com to volunteer or receive books.
- Canadian volunteers please see updated cataloguing instructions under 'Volunteers'.
Books With Wings has been sending up to date medical books to the medical schools of Afghanistan. We would like to expand to other disciplines, as the need for books in Afghan universities in all subjects is great. Examples of requests we have had from Afghanistan are:
The volunteer work involves:
• Making contact with colleagues in Afghanistan to assess the state of their libraries and needs
• Finding sources of donated books (students, professors, professionals, publishers, libraries, bookstores, etc.)
• Finding and organizing volunteers to label the books with Library of Congress catalog numbers, and to box and ship the books
Please contact Richard Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.orgURGENT:
If you would like to make a tax-deductible cash donation, plese visit our Donation
page. Thank you for your continued support and stay posted for further updates! Please send news/photos from each Books With Wings Chapter to Signy Holmes at email@example.com