Welcome to the University of Manitoba International Medical Graduate Program
. We appreciate your interest in our programs. Our aim is to provide accessible programs that will enable IMGs to practice medicine in underserviced areas of Manitoba. Our programs have grown over the years and many IMGs are practicing medicine and living in Manitoba. IMGs are an important part of medical services delivery in Manitoba.
What is the University of Manitoba International Medical Graduate Program?
- Offers competitive merit-based programs
- Assesses or trains IMGs
- Provides orientation programs
- Prepares IMGs to work independently in underserviced regions in Manitoba
Who are the programs for?
- IMGs will have these 2 basic requirements:
- completed their postgraduate training and
- worked as a licensed physician (Eligibility)
- The IMG Program is not a full residency program: for full residency see CaRMs (http://www.carms.ca/)
What programs does the University of Manitoba offer for IMGs?
Family Medicine in rural Manitoba: There are 2 streams for family medicine:
- assessment program for IMGs who are ready to practice medicine independently (IMGACL)
- training program for IMG physicians who require some training (MLPIMG)
- assessment program for medical specialists (NRSAP)
- orientation program (Orientation)
- physician support/mentorship program (IMGMCE) (Now part of Continuing Professional Development)
What are the steps that I will take to gain admission to University of Manitoba's IMG Programs?
- These are competitive programs with limited training/assessment spots
- IMGs will interact with different health and government bodies as they apply and enter into our programs (link A):
- the University of Manitoba IMG Program for admissions and the IMG programs
- the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM), the licensing body, provide the licensing/registration required to undergo assessment/training
- PRCO division of Manitoba Health matches physicians and specialists with employers
- Manitoba Health the division of government that oversees and funds healthcare
Fees, program costs
- IMGs will apply to the University of Manitoba IMG Program
- IMGs will obtain educational or conditional licensure from CPSM to be part of the programs
- IMGs will obtain a position/sponsor in Manitoba to enter the programs
- IMGs may work with PRCO or Manitoba Health to secure these positions
There are currently no fees for these programs
Sponsors/future employers from Manitoba pay for your assessment or training and pay your salary during the training/assessment
IMGs cannot pay or sponsor themselves through the program
IMGs will practice medicine in Manitoba for return of service